Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

nick asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How rare is it for a dog to have 4 dewclaws ?

I have a chihuahua (dash hound mix) and he has 4 dewclaws, one on each claw. How rare is it (if at all) for a chihuahua to have 4 dewclaws?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It is NOT RARE - as to how the dogs are born = most do come with front dewclaws.  Only a few breeds have rear declaws.  Many dew claws (if loose & floppy) can be cause of injury to the dog (esp if RIPPED OUT)  =>if they get caught in rough terrain or in human clothing and are often removed within 3 days of birth (by a vet) to prevent later injury.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/canine-cor...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Mutt paws look creepy and ugly to me.

• 1 month ago

I have no idea, but most people /breeders would have extra dewclaws, or even only the more usual front ones, removed days after birth unless called for in the Breed Standard (which your dog doesn't have).    Later on there could be injuries, and that would mean a more involved surgery (with a general anaesthetic).

The dew claws appear on the foot, not on the 'claw' which I'm sure you meant.

With a mix, goodness knows what you might get.   This messing around with established breeds, is a lottery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.