Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Is raw chicken ok uncovered in fridge overnight?

I cut chicken last night around 8pm for dinner but my family weren’t hungry so I put it in a large dish and put it in the fridge. I forgot to cover it until around 1am with tinfoil. Is it still ok to eat? The date was 5th March. It was uncovered for around 6 hours in a very cold fridge in a shelf by itself

Favorite Answer

Yes, it's fine.

Covering food in the fridge is partly to prevent dehydration and odors in the fridge.

Just cook it as normal.

If you had left it out on the counter, that would be a different story.

I suggest always covering raw meats, especially poultry, and being very careful about what they touch due the risk of teeny bits of chicken juice you don't even know you've spread around somehow making it onto your hands then into your system and making you sick.

I keep raw meats, especially chicken, isolated from all other foods and immediately clean any dishes or utinsles it has touched.

• Rita

Better yet, let the chicken air-dry in the refrigerator for a few hours. To do this, you'll place the chicken on a tray or platter and leave it, uncovered, in your fridge. The air will wick away moisture from the skin of the chicken, leaving it nice and dry for crisp searing.

Stop having a panic over something that doesn't matter. You have it in the fridge; it was kept cold. It is fine.

• Audrey

It's fine. Might have dried out just a tad, though.

• kswck2

It should have started to dry out by then. But it should be okay if you cook it to 165 degrees.