Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

can you make greek chicken if you don't have oregano. will it still be delicious?

i saw a couple of receips calling for oregano but i dont have fresh or even the oregano in the jar. im completed wiped out. wondering if my greek chicken will still taste great with just garlic, lemon juice, black pepper, and italian seasoning blend

9 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You could try adding a little thyme ?, maybe half and half with the Italian seasoning?.

• WTF? You hate Greek chicken - not enough flavor, remember?

• Janet
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It will taste great. Not quite the same as the recipe intended it to taste, but it will still taste great.

• 1 month ago

Yes it will still taste great and italian seasoning will have oregano in it.  If you have marjoram you can substitute that.

I have a greek friend who has an amazing oregano plant in her yard that she has allowed me to snitch cuttings of.  When I did this she dragged me into an ongoing dispute with her husband about the difference and superiority of greek oregano over italian oregano.  Yes, they are different and I have both but use them pretty much interchangably. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do you have majoram? I guess you can use Italian seasoning, there is oregano in it.

• 1 month ago

It will be fne. It might not be as 'Greek' as you intended, but it will still be flavorful.

• 1 month ago

The Italian seasoning blend has oregano in it. 

It will taste just fine, many of the same spices and herbs are used in both countries particularly in the southern part of Italy. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Authentic it won't be. But it will be fine. If you are photographing it, just use some chopped parsley. 

(And it tastes better with Fresh oregano, not dried). 

• 1 month ago

Sounds fine to me. It won't taste exactly the same but it will be just as good

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.