Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 2 months ago

What to believe?

My mom is in a serious condition in the hospital, she has end stage cancer. She is has difficulty breathing and communicating. She is also on painkillers. One of the senior doctor told us she has  few weeks to 3 months to live. The next day another doctor told us she has Less than 6 months. And later on another doctor told us she has 6 to 12 months to live. Honestly I don’t really care what this doctors are saying, I just want her to be comfortable and painless. But the thing is right now she needs palliative care. We decided to speak with the primary care doctor. The thing is how can they keep giving us hope and than crushing them?

My mom passed on last week. She was suffering so much towards the end. I miss her a lot.

• LAN

Well, I don't believe any of the crap you constantly spam.  That makes it easy for me.

So how many times exactly is it that she has been dying in the hospital and you think that you can get better answers here than from her or her doctor now.

All they can offer is their best guess. It varies so much between patients.

When my mother was at that point she wanted to be home, so we brought her home with in home palliative care. 

We were told 'a week, maybe two'. It was 6. Her primary care Dr, visiting the evening before she passed was amazed. He had visited every few days and expected each visit to be the last. He had not expected her to last a week.

Spend every day with them as if it was your last. I think thats truly the only way to look at it. Some people's body react different to certain health issues as with anything. 

Cancer can sometimes be unpredictable. Some doctors say someone will live max up to, let's say 4 months, then they die a month later... Some doctors tell someone they only got about 6weeks, they end up living about 3 more months maybe even more. 

Don't worry too much about what doctors tell you anymore. Don't think too much about when your mother is about to go. Just focus on where you mother is right now. She is your main priority and your job is to give her the best days of your life.

I hope this helps. I will have you in my prayers. Best wishes.