Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 2 months ago

Ringworm in cats?

About 3 weeks ago I got a kitten. The kitten had lived with a woman and her abusive husband. The kitten was very obviously abused, he had burn marks on his face and patches of fur missing and scabs. I thought the patches of fur were missing because this kitten had bad fleas. Forward to this week. I been snuggling up with this kitten a lot and recently I found I have ringworm. I realised it had to came from the kitten because it was all over where I held the kitten. (I had the ringworm for half a week, I first got a single itchy spot on my arm but didnt think much of it) then yesterday I noticed spots all over me. Anyways, I remembered that you can detect ringworm by shining a black light onto the areas. The areas where the kitten was missing fur had started to look btter the “scabs” had nearly completely gone away and the fur is regrowing on the areas. I shined a blacklight onto these areas and it started to glow but barely. Does this mean that the ringworm was going away on its on? How long would it take for it to completely go away? How can I tell if its really going away or has gone away? I couldnt take the kitten to the vet when I first got him and I couldnt take him to the bet now because of the vets being all booked up. What can I do to make his ringworm go away and how can I tell if its going away/has gone away?  I’d like to treat him at home while waitin for an opening at our vet. 

I have 2 other cats besides this kitten and only had gotten this kitten because of knowing that the kitten was being abused and neglected. He is almost 9 weeks old: 

• Maxi

Ringworm is contagious to people and is caught through touching an infected cat. You cannot catch ringworm if your skin is unbroken, but if you have a scratch, graze, wound or suffer from a skin condition such as eczema, you may catch the infection but it's usually easily treatable.... unless you have quarantined this kitten from your other cats they will also get it

Ringworm spreads through direct contact with infected skin or fungal spores. The spores can live on fabrics, including clothing, couch cushions, bedding, and other porous surfaces. They also thrive in damp environments, such as bathrooms...so house cleaning is important

Your doctor for you and the vet for your cats will precribe an antifungal cream/lotion and likely anti biotics... suggest you phone your vet who will answer the phone or there will be another vet number you can call for advice about treatment

• Raven

Nigel knows nothing, I hope you won't listen to his "advice". As far as I know, ringworm doesn't go away on it's own. It has to be treated. At the pet store where I worked when a ringworm kitten came in it was dipped in a special sulphur dip once a week for 6 weeks, then tested by a skin culture at the vet to see if the ringworm was gone. Frequently it wasn't, and the kitten was dipped for another month. The kitten was also at the same time given an oral medication to help the ringworm go away. The kitten had to have 2 negative culture tests in a row to be considered ringworm free. Ringworm is not a worm but a fungus, and difficult to get rid of. I'm sorry to say your other cats are going to get it too as it is highly contagious. At the pet store we also treated the entire store with a special spray weekly to kill the ringworm spores that were being shed by the kitten. You need to get something from the vet for this ringworm problem that you have. Call, book an appointment right away. Ask their advise for what you can do in the meantime while you wait. Good luck with all this.

• ?

he will be good as long as you get him antibiotics that will kill the worms is all, otherwise he will have a bad immune system and even a mosquito can plant a heart worm in him and kill him! so get him some antibiotics to keep him going until the vet visit