Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Should I have as much legal right to offend you, as you've got, to be offended by what I've said to you, without my life being ruined?

I mean, freedom of speech, am I right? 

"Freedom of speech", as protected in the Constitution, refers only the right to be free of arbitrary GOVERNMENT restrictions on what you have to say.  It generally has NOTHING to do with what anyone else might do to you for what you say.  Also, if you are "free" to say something, then others are equally "free" to say something back, including thing that can hurt you in ways you didn't previously consider.  There are, of course, limits (defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress are compensable torts, threats and extortion might be criminal, etc).

Freedom of speech only gives you the right not to be punished by the government for your speech.  It doesn't give you the right not to have your life ruined by a corporation or by a person who isn't part of the government.

You do not understand freedom of speech. There are privacy laws, defamation [libel and slander]; false light etc., why do you think people and corporations are recently being sued for billions. There are many limits to freedom of speech. Always has been. 

Care to try that again with fewer commas?  You have a legal right to offend me.  I mean, what?

• Lisa A

Freedom of speech means that the government can't stop you from saying something.

It doesn't mean that anyone can be compelled to provide you a platform for your speech. And freedom of speech does not mean that you are free from the consequences of your speech.

• Duck

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences from that speech.