Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Should I have as much legal right to offend you, as you've got, to be offended by what I've said to you, without my life being ruined?

I mean, freedom of speech, am I right? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

"Freedom of speech", as protected in the Constitution, refers only the right to be free of arbitrary GOVERNMENT restrictions on what you have to say.  It generally has NOTHING to do with what anyone else might do to you for what you say.  Also, if you are "free" to say something, then others are equally "free" to say something back, including thing that can hurt you in ways you didn't previously consider.  There are, of course, limits (defamation, invasion of privacy, and intentional infliction of emotional distress are compensable torts, threats and extortion might be criminal, etc).

• 2 months ago

Freedom of speech only gives you the right not to be punished by the government for your speech.  It doesn't give you the right not to have your life ruined by a corporation or by a person who isn't part of the government.

• 2 months ago

You do not understand freedom of speech. There are privacy laws, defamation [libel and slander]; false light etc., why do you think people and corporations are recently being sued for billions. There are many limits to freedom of speech. Always has been. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Care to try that again with fewer commas?  You have a legal right to offend me.  I mean, what?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Freedom of speech means that the government can't stop you from saying something.

It doesn't mean that anyone can be compelled to provide you a platform for your speech. And freedom of speech does not mean that you are free from the consequences of your speech.

• Duck
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequences from that speech.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.