Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My Nissan Altima say out for the winter and now my relays are going crazy?

It's a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5

The engine compartment relays don't shut off and keep clicking non stop after leaving it out during a wet winter.

The relay's are draining the battery and causing the car to overheat.

Where should I start?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

You have two problems, one is electrical and one is probably mechanical. If the car is overheating as you say you should have the cooling system checked. The clicking relay problem could be water intrusion somewhere. I know Altimas had a lot of trouble with water getting into the doors where there's a micro switch for the lock cylinder.

• 2 months ago

If you're starting the car by jumping the battery there's a good chance that the battery is the problem. You let the car sit for the Winter and when doing that the battery discharges over time and a discharged battery will freeze when it's 32 degrees or lower. Once a battery freezes it shorts out internally and cause all sorts of goofy electronic problems. I'd try a new battery. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Disconnect the battery for a day and check if it fixes it.  No luck, you have to find shorted switches.  Good luck.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

clean repair replace the relay blocks and relays as required cover them up to keep water off them if a plastic cover is missing find a replacement cover.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would ask a mechanic to help you out with that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.