Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Amy asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

My son is in Marine boot camp. I told him to go reserves, he wouldn’t. Now he wishes he had. Is there anyway that he can switch to reserves?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If he signed a contract for four years active duty and then four years inactive reserves then they probably will hold him to that.   There is no reason for them to change the contract.  

• 2 months ago

What are you talking about?  There are five military services - Army, Air Force, Navy Marines and Coast Guard.  Each has a Reserve Corps.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Once he entered active duty, he's screwed for the term of his enlistment. The Air Force has a program like you are asking about, but not the other services.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He can only go reserve after his active duty obligation is successfully completed

Besides boot camp is the same for everyone

There hasn't been a separate boot camp for reservists in any branch since the Navy did away with the old 2x6 program in the early 1970s

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No he can’t change period! 

That is the way he feels now while in MCRD, he would be saying all sorts of things in a letter or phone call about he hates it, wanting out and then next week says he’s in for life. He is an ADULT so he has to be the one to make the decisions and not interfere. He needs to learn, which he will definitely do while in the military. 

• 2 months ago

Recruit Training is EXACTLY the same for Active Duty and reserves. If he is regretting enlisting before graduating from what you call boot camp, what he WANTS is called an entry level separation, not transition to the reserves.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

he needs to ask about it where hes at

• 2 months ago

I am not sure if there's a process for him to go to the reserves when he enlisted for active duty, but it is possible for him to ask for an entry level separation if he's been enlisted less than 180 days, maybe citing that he is unable to adapt to the marine corps environment. This normally results in an uncharacterized discharge. I would recommend that he talk to a chaplain at his base; in addition to listening to your son's troubles and offering encouragement, chaplains can sometimes advise recruits on how best to approach the chain of command 

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Too late.  Guess he’ll just have that GIBill to fall back on when he gets out

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Wow, I don't know but I think if he were able to, it might have a lifetime negative effect on him, his career, etc.  Not good.  Stay the course, and do what you promised to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.