Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Does anyone know of a conviction that was overturned because of mishandling of forensic evidence?

I need to write a report on a criminal case from Canada, the U.S.A, the U.K or Australia. The case must have had a conviction at trial that was overturned because of a miscarriage of justice relating to a forensic scientist's expert evidence. The appeal must have been heard within the last 10 years. It cannot be from the following list: R. v. Morin, R. v. Driskell, R. v. Truscott, R. v. Bernardo, R. v. Milgaard, R. v. Alice Lynn Chamberlain and Michael Leigh Chamberlain, any case where Dr. Smith gave evidence, any motherisk lab case. Thanks.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check out PACER or the USSC website, or your state supreme court (if in NY, the "supreme court of appeals")'s website, or the court reporter books in a library. You've got fifty (50) states to choose from, and all of those US federal courts. How about legal encyclopedias and treatises and CLE's? Look at the footnotes in the relevant parts. No lack of resources. Legal research is you. Some public libraries even have LEXIS or WESTLAW terminals for legal research. Seek and ye shall find. If you want me to do it for you I suggest that you give up.

• 2 months ago

It was more than 10 years but Google "Sally Clark" for one of the most heart rending cases of miscarriage of justice thanks to an 'expert witness' the world has ever seen.  She died.  Google "Professor Sir Roy Meadow" too. A number of convictions that he was responsible for were overturned.  Some may have been in the last 10 years

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.