Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

My co-worker said that our co-worker told him something pedophile-ish.  Which of them is lying: the co-worker who told me, or the pedophile?

I overheard our co-worker (who is a 46-year-old Dominican man) speaking Spanish to him (he is Puerto Rican). After Dominican walked away, the PR co-worker shockingly said to me, “He just now told me that he sleeps with teenage girls in his country by promising them he’ll get them U.S. citizenship, and then ditches them w/o keeping his promise.” VIs the co-worker basically a troublemaker who’s trying to start a rumor about the Dominican?  Or did the Dominican really say that, but is lying in efforts to look “cool,” even though it sounds shameful and disgusting.

Let me tell you something - I know people from Puerto Rico and they don't like Dominicans.  The Puerto Rican is making this sh*t up to slander the Dominican.  I know Dominicans too and they usually go back to the Dominican Republic a few times a year to visit family.  A few times a year.  To see their family.

I wouldn't trust this Puerto Rican.  He has proven himself an expert liar, manipulator and rumor monger.  

• ?

omg...

It perplexes me as to how you even engage yourself with such meaningless non sense.

It is ALL hear-say and gossip.

Grow up and concentrate on your work, please.

Considering that it is non of your business and there is a great deal of hostility between the tow cultures it doesn't matter, unless you are really into gossip.

Given, no-one in here knows either party involved in the conversation, it's impossible to tell who is lying.

It's all gossip

I don't believe you. 

• ?

Age of consent in the Dominican Republic is 18, meaning that he could be having sex with "teenage" "girls" (in reality legal adult women) and it wouldn't be a crime. I'd just stay out of it. 

Nothing to do with Etiquette.

PS If these "teenage girls" are old enough to think about applying for visas, they are not children. So although he may be a repellent individual he is not a paedophile.But in any case you shouldn't  believe everything people tell you.

probably the pedophile

• g

No way to know and it doesn't really matter what we think - that's just gossip, plain and simple.