Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

Why do people sometimes say "If you love someone set them free"??! That doesn't make any sense. ?

Wouldn't you WANT to share your life and love with the person you love?? I am under the impression that people love themselves more than they are even capable of loving another person! This is just something I have experienced with my ex and from my past. What does that quote really mean anyway? I mean, it feels like you are freeing yourself from the responsibility of loving that person. Thoughts?!

"If the person you love is not happy with you, set them free, end the relationshi, do it for them. It's not brain surgery." True it isn't, but why not try to fix it instead of giving up to soon?! I mean you got with them for a reason in the first place right??! Also, they always ultimately HAD the option to leave of course, love is not supposed to be forced!

You can always tell if someone wants out or not (in the long run), but also if you love them too, then you try to work together as a couple to REACH happiness together but if you only care about yourself and want things YOUR way all the time then yes it WILL be hard!.. Just saying. 

You can't always be selfish in a relationship if you know what I mean, that's not how a relationship is supposed to work! 

Favorite Answer

I think the real meaning behind this saying is that you can never hold another person hostage, no matter how much you love them. (This would be creepy and criminal, so I really don't recommend you do this!). For example; you are still just as in love with the person you are dating from the moment you've met them; but for whatever reason, they have stopped loving you. If this is the case, the efforts to keep the relationship intact is futile. You also have every right to find someone who loves you just as much as you love them.

• ?

This poster is on our kitchen wall.  You cannot hold onto a person by force or by threats.  They stay because they WANT to stay.  The poster is right next to the one that reads "Home is wherever I am with you".  I am free to do what I want and what I want is to be with the love of my life.

• ?

Loving another is wishing for him/her to be happy with or without you.

Love is a verb. Love is also responsibility.

Looking at a partner from a place of abundance is very different than when seeing things from a place of lack. 

A super-woman sees super-man in her partner. And vice-versa. 

Freedom in a relationship is only possible between 2 wholesome healthy people who already happy, who don't need money, cars, houses, shoes, bags, drinks and so on from each other mainly because they can buy it themselves!

They kinda want bigger things like the Moon and the Sun, stars, poems, music, poetry, paintings, knight in shining armor on a white horse and other forms of art lol

They want the soul.

Interesting. A healthy life with a healthy marriage does actually seem to work best between people who DO love themselves more than anyone else. That's not a bad trait. It tends to mean that they believe in themselves, believe in their choices, believe that they can achieve what they desire and are more likely to do what it takes to make it happen while remaining happy and fulfilled enough to be able to respect and share well with others. 

"If you love someone, set them free" suggests that, once experiencing freedom.. if that love is returned, the person will return on their own volition and no need for chains or a cage or a lawsuit... they'll be at your side because that is where THEY choose to be. It actually makes a lot of sense. If they don't return? Well, then they are off doing what THEY have chosen to do. 

It actually means if you love someone dont control them...let them be themselves, have freedom and make choices and if they love you they come back.

Like a butterfly to a flower...the flower doesnt hold the butterfly hostage and the butterfly returns often.

Now, ponder this...A stitch in time saves nine. Hood luck

If the person you love is not happy with you, set them free, end the relationshi, do it for them.  It's not brain surgery.