Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

help with meaning in French!?

Can someone please explain is I have chosen the correct answers in this sentence?

Il s'en/sans fait peu/peux/peut comme lui.

I believe the answer is: "Il s'en fait peut comme lui" but I don't understand the first part of the sentence "il s'en fait..". What does "s'en" mean/refer to?

And does the sentence translate to "He can do it just as well as him" ?

Any help is appreciated!

Favorite Answer

It looks like it's reflexive, "se faire" being the verb. French is full of reflexive verbs. "en" is a preposition that has a couple of uses.  It's best to learn y / en together, because they are opposites.

y = to/into something

en = from/of something

So I think "s'en faire peu" means "to do little of that", "that" being whatever you're discussing.  I think it means "He doesn't do much of that, like him" or "He does little of that, like him".  But I'll wait for answers from someone French or who speaks French better than I do.