Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Would I be a bad person for driving my car when im pretty sure it has a blown head gasket?

My dad thinks the car runs fine, but a lot of white smoke comes out the tail pipe, and I think there is a little oil leaking in the front, but he says to drive it anyway.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let me translate Dad: You broke it, you fix it. And, NO! I'm not giving you money. Get a job or walk.

Got it?

• 2 months ago

A mechanic with a brain can test the coolant for products of combustion. Or DIY via Ebay. 

• Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Blown your head gasket? Keep driving with a blown head gasket and it will inevitably lead to further car trouble. K-Seal can stop the problem in its tracks, before it's too late. Technically you can drive with a blown head gasket, but we'd always advise against it.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

run it till it blows

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

keep a jug of antifreeze with you . and a few quarts of oil . check both regularly . 

• 2 months ago

"Bad person"? Drive the vehicle. Check the coolant level in the radiator...not just the reservoir. The oil level should be checked every 1,000 miles and changed every 3,000 miles. If the oil looks like a milkshake you have a bad head gasket and need another ride.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

No. You would be a tired or poorer person from walking, paying for a cab or having to pay for a tow truck.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

is it a dunger drive it into the ground? Keep checking it has coolant (water if its losing it) keep it topped up. Don't spend any money on it replace it sooner rather than later.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Why do you ASSume it is the hard thing to do yourself to be the reason even when your car runs normally?  Much R&D  tech went into the design of HG cuz to have that fail in the middle of a race is no good. RITE?

What you call white smoke is actually light blue smoke meaning you are Burning oil.  In the morning when the car has been parked overnight. Go out pop the hood, and pull the oil dipstick and wipe off and stick it in the hole again and pull again after counting 3 seconds and read the dip stick.  The oil MUST BE ON THE DIPSTICK between the 2 marks.  If the dipstick is dry, or just on the tip of the stick then you be needing OIL cause you been burning it like gasoline.  The odor you smell from the tailpipe is OIL burning.  All oil burners smell the same. Dad know you burn oil and you watch the dipstick level and keep it between the two lines.  Not hard thing to do.  Maybe you got to carry extra quarts in the car just in case when you got to add SOME.  Overfilling above the top line can lock up the engine so it don't run- running too low of oil will seize the engine. Keeping the level between the 2 marks will allow the engine to run.  Burning oil means the engine is wearing out.  All engines burn oil. New cars burn less so you see nothing. Really worn out ones hide the neighborhood behind them in a white cloud.  Those cars would not pass emission testing.  Those cars are either getting  REBUILT engines or the entire car goes to the junk yard.    My 1955 still is using the original HG as I have not disassembled the motor. I just drive it.  Farm truck is even older and it still has original HG.  So dad is right and you are wrong.  Cars can run for years if you watch the oil level. You will smoke for years., a rebuilt motor or a replacement motor from another car out of the junk yard MIGHT be better, or it too could need a rebuild because it has 75K+ miles on it.

. Dad does not give a schit about you or your car.  Isn't that obvious? You got a beater car.  It is up to you to fix it.  There is no oil additive to stop the oil burning. It is mechanical wear of the parts from LOTS of miles.  All ICE engines will get to this stage and need to be rebuilt.

When you call it white, it means a lot of oil is being burnt.  You should have noticed the smell from the exhaust years ago.

It is a wonder a cop does not pull your car off the road for excessive pollution.

(yeah, they have that power)

• Kevin
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

is he going to pay for the repairs? if so, drive away. if not, have a mechanic check it out asap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.