Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 months ago

Can a foreigner speaks a particular language better than the actual native of that language?

I think, just because the sentence is grammatically correct, it doesn't mean it is culturally correct.

I am a person who was able to learn English word pronunciation, and English in general, in just one month, and with a pronunciation pitch better than a native. When I talk to people, they usually think I'm from New York, but when I say I'm actually not from the US; not even from an English-Speaking Country, they freaked out. They don't believe it. 

I have to admit that I still no little, close-to-nothing. Natives usually, mistakenly think they are totally fluent in the language that they were born to speak. Not-so-fast. They usually, don't understand everything... They think they do. I know it because my English is horrible, but from my own perspective, not theirs. 

I speak 5 language, and each of these languages, people think I'm native. 

No, but a foreigner can SPEAK that language better than an uneducated native speaker.

• KTJoe

No; many languages have twist in turns, in sentence structure several meanings and spellings for certain words and of course slang. People who speak foreign languages are on a basic level with a distinct native accent.

Yes, it is possible, though rare.  Some people have a special talent for it.  Also, some people work harder at it. I like to speak correctly in another language, but I don't care if I have a foreign accent. I am not trying to sound like a native.  But often my grammar and certainly my vocabulary is better than many natives.  Of course, the errors I make are different from the errors a native speaker makes.  Nevertheless, I have had people ask me where I am from; suggesting that I sound like some kind of native speaker but not from their country.  

Maybe you would enjoy the musical "My Fair Lady."  It is about an English language expert who asserts that foreign people speak better English than the English people do. But he trains a lower-class woman how to speak correctly, and finally people think she is a Hungarian princess.  

• ?

I know many foreigners who speak far, far better English than you do. I'm sorry, but you kind of asked for it.

• ?

Well of course they can.  When a person is taught a new language, they learn the correct version with the correct pronunciation, etc, without the slang, the cuss words, the moans  and groans that we all learn to adopt, and the dialects which can make the original language almost unrecognisable.

• ?

Your question makes me think to Jody Foster the American actress. When she speaks French, I'm under the impression she is French ( my native language).

J. Foster did part of her studies in France, I guess it helped her to speak my language so correctly.

Sometimes. There are native speakers that never really perfected their language and have poor grammar and poor command of the language. Or there are native speaker who have went to live somewhere else and forgot their language or just never use it.  If a foreigner learns a language very well, practices it, has good teachers and learns to read, write and speak very well - they will out class the native speaker that never developed the language to the full potential or has let it slip. 

• ?

Well, such foreigner might be better than a native when it comes to grammar, spelling , linguistics etc... but I have a hard time believing that a foreigner could have better pronunciation than a native.. 

• ?

yes, that is possible. If the foreigner has studied the language seriously and has used it for a long time, and the native speaker spent his/her life among undereducated people.

It's about vocabulary(-size), semantics and grammar, not about regional accents

• ?

Yes, if the native has a strong regional accent.