Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is the suicide rate in Australia so high because they Aussies are too highly strung?

Tragically, Australia has one of the highest suicide rates in the world and it is steadily increasing. You are rapidly catching up to Japan, where suicide is considered a national crisis. These preventable deaths are so sad. I would argue it’s not because Australia is a terrible place but because the Aussies are so wound up. 

I get genuinely concerned for people like Aussie Battler, he is always unhappy and stressed out. Look at his moniker, his life is a constant battle. Every day is a hard slog for him that he must struggle through. Having to scrounge dollars out of trolleys obviously isn’t an ideal situation but I doubt he is starving. His life can’t be as tough as he makes out. Aussies just have a negative attitude. 

The countries with the lowest rates of suicide are predominantly in the Caribbean where they people are laid back. They aren’t particularly wealthy but are just happy with sun, sea and sand. Australia also has that so why are you so miserable? Truly horrific places like Syria have 14 times less suicides than Australia but people don’t give up. 

Favorite Answer

Yesterday on the Maccas App there was a reward of a $3 coffee. Normally I only use this reward for $2 as I am not a Centrelink Bludger. However I noticed a trolley with a gold coin in it which I returned for a dollar and used this dollar for the $3 coffee making it $2. 

• I thought the suicide rate are high here in Australia because mostly our farmers loss the will to live through depression? Lacked of rain through droughts? Teenagers however is through bully on the social media? I really don't know the answer but surely I consider suicide as a childish cowardly act. I've have hit bottom from time to time but never in my mind about suicidal thoughts. A help from this is only a phone call away as there's a few government helplines around and one of them is Beyond Blue. Imagine trying to do it but yet you survive it at worst as a cripple? Sure you can picture it in your head. That's one of the main reason I simply can't do it. Not worth it. Wake up and get a bloody grip on yourself. You'll only have one life and then poof, nothing happens after that.

Are you getting negative thoughts because England are getting flogged by India? I'm angry too. 🤬👎

• ?

Wow i just read Arthurs answer, he's very close to snuffing himself out by the sounds of it.

you're right young Australians are too highly strung, we used to have a reputation world wide that we were laid back, take it as it comes and saying "she'll be right" 

not any more, people are whinging and moaning about minor things these days, it's all too hard, we are becoming weak, just cop it on the chin, take your problems head on then move on.

JFK said "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country" or there about.

That's pretty close to the mark about how we should live our life.

• arther

The country is being sold out like a ************ it has been for the last 50 years you poms started the great sell out there are sad sacs like AB everyfucken where.

Everytime I goto the city there are more homeless drug addicts sleeping on the footpath scabbing money. the government does nothing but suck up to gooks and coons.

this big country crap some stupid intellectual thought up is filling the place up with jippos.

University intellectuals have been selling the country to gooks for years they are apart of this covid if you ask me, the stupid thing about most university intellectuals is when the invasion starts they are weak as piss and will be the first to die. They closest to the invading slopeys and they are all useless not one of them could use a screwdriver.