Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Should I be ashamed of this? Should I tell anyone about it? Is it weird? ?

I’m really ashamed of my past and how I used to behave. I used to abuse alcohol for self medicating social anxiety and to feel more confident and also for depression. I used to drink on impulse and I would drink in so many different situations. For example, I used to drink some alcohol before going out anywhere for example like shopping, out for dinner, to meet someone. I used to drink before having guests come over sometime because I had anxiety. Also, sometimes even before calling someone on the phone I would drink a little. Also, when I had my ex over, when he first came here, I would drink a little in my room before going downstairs to talk and interact with him because it would make me more comfortable and outgoing. He noticed and he said he’s going to tell everyone and embarrass me. And he did tell everyone so now everyone knows about it and makes fun of me. He wanted to hurt me.

Also one time I drank a lot before going to school (college) because I had anxiety and I ended up passing out and someone called an ambulance. I feel so stupid and embarrassed. Now everyone knows, even my family and they’re making fun of me about it. I feel a lot of shame and I think it’s so weird how I behaved when I look back. I don’t drink anymore but I still feel so ashamed especially when people make fun of me for it. I feel so ashamed because I think it’s really weird what I did. Should I be ashamed of it? It affected my self worth and esteem. 

Do not tell people about it That does not help. They just make fun of you, as you have stated. 

Many people use alcohol as a way to cope. You have recognised the problem, so let it go and move on. Nothing to be ashamed of. It was just self-medication. For anxiety in the future L-Theanine is a good remedy. Available at vitamin stores. 

No you need to move on and improve

i didnt drink to calm down and i never had any friends and was always anxious...drinking probably helped..just saying...if you didnt drink you would have regretted it because you would have been held hostage by other feelings