Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Why do employers assume that everyone wants to work full time?

I've been unemployed (mostly by choice) for 2 years because I can't find the right part time job to fit my needs.

I don't want to work 5 days a week and I don't want to work more than 23-30 hours. 

I just want to work 4 hour days for 3-4 days per week, but no matter where I look it seems as though this option is not available anymore. There's even a ridiculous amount of expectations for adults applying to certain minimum wage jobs (ex; must have 2 years experience, must be certified by blah blah blah).

The only jobs that I am capable of being hired for are exactly the ones that I DO NOT want. Is my only option not to work? Or will I eventually find the perfect job for me the longer I hold out for it. I live at home with family, so it's not like I'll be living on the streets or broke.

I don't care about having a super amazing career, I just need a job that fits my needs for the sake of my mental health. 

You might not be broke and living out on the streets now but you will be soon enough.  Sign of the economic times.  

Employers are probably just saying they're hiring full-time because they get tax incentives or something.  Nobody's actually hiring full-time right now because they can't afford to pay bennies.  Even businesses and employers are sometimes guilty of scamming the system.

The economy is really the lovechild of a dumpster fire and a trainwreck right now.

• April

There are tons of part-time jobs available. In fact, many fast food and retail places want part-time employees to avoid paying benefits. (Healthcare jobs may be more demanding.) Even if you don't have experience, still apply. For example, I work at a grocery store and they hire almost anybody because they need things done.

This sounds like a troll question.

Well, obviously you realize that employers want full-time people to be steady employees. And you're having a tough time with that. But why?  You must  not be telling prospective employers that you are not available for that sort of work.  You have to be very clear when you apply for a job that you ONLY want part-time work. Then you won't get interviews for full-time work. That's your option--TELL or APPLY to employers for ONLY part-time.  Don't apply for full-time positions and expect to negotiate shorter hours. That's not up to the employer--it's up to you. 

• a

I want to start work at 7 a.m. and go home 2 p.m.

Unfortunately, the store I work at opens at 10 and closes at 5:30. Being there at 7 doesn't help with customers, and leaving at 2 means no one will be there to do what I do.

Aside from your entitlement, you can't do third grade math. Four hours a day, three or four days comes to 12 to 16 hours, not 23 - 30.

Your option is to do what most humans have to do: a job that you don't want.

Working hours are based on employer needs not employee wants.

If you can support yourself on 16 hours a week, hold out until you find the job that is right for you.

"There's even a ridiculous amount of expectations for adults applying to certain minimum wage jobs (ex; must have 2 years experience, must be certified by blah blah blah)."

- we aren't your high school friends who are stupid and believe you when you spew out this bull.  They might not even believe you and laugh at your stupidity when you aren't around. 

"I live at home with family, so it's not like I'll be living on the streets or broke."

I bet your parents love supporting a man-child.  It makes them feel proud and successful.

It is not their business to work around your schedule,  they are running a business. 

It's nice to want. Jobs are to make money, definitely not for mental health improvement.