Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Can I cook white bread without oil on a non-stick pan?

• ?

A well-greased pan will make your life a lot easier when it comes time to remove your loaf from the pan. If you're not using a non-stick pan, this step isn't optional. However, it's a good practice even if you are using a non-stick pan. Grease your pan using butter or flavourless oil.

• denise

In the oven? you could just sprinkle flour on your pan before putting the dough on it  [ I usually spray with oven spray first though ] I like to make 'doubly' sure!

I wouldn't. You are not using enough to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

The point of doing that would be to get the sugars to cook, called caramelization; that wonderful burnt mayo on a greasy spoon diner grilled cheese sandwich. Without the burnt grease, that's called toast. You can do that in an oven if you don't have a toaster. Without grease in a pan, you'll just be soaking up the years of fish fillet essence in that pan without getting a grease crust. So in theory you can pan fry bread without oil, but you will never want to again. 

• Audrey

Yes, but watch it very carefully. It burns in a split second.

Yes, you can. I like my toast crusty