Do I have to send or give a copy of My ID to police when requesting FOIA for Body Cam Video?

Do I have to send or give a copy of My ID to police when requesting FOIA for Body Cam Video? this is their reply by email from Police FOIA----> please send a copy of your ID to confirm your identity, as multiple people appear in the video you are requesting.

FOIA applies to the administrative offices of the federal govt only.  In my state, the state open records law specifically forbids them from requiring your name even.  They are also not permitted to demand you explain why you need them. You may request records anonymously and, if they are public records that aren't exempt, they are obligated to provide them.  A lawyer could even get a mandamus for you without ever revealing your name.

The text below was copied from my state's AG faq on public records.  Your state law may be different.:

"Unless  a specific law  says  otherwise,  a requester  does  not  have  to  give  the  reason  for wanting  the  records, give  his or her  name  or  make  the  request  in  writing, but  the  request  does  have  to be  clear  and  specific  enough  for the  public  office  to  reasonably  identify  what public  records are  being requested. "

As a side note, parts if the bodycam video may be protected for various reasons.  For example they might not release video inside my house to you, but they might release that same video to me.

Yes, they have to verify your identity, if you go in person they may or may not make a copy. 

• Maxi

If you want them to deal with your request, then of course you have to send a copy of  your ID