Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

My car is still showing as not insured. I need to go out. Will I get pulled over? UK.?

Helo, so my car was off road for a while for just a few weeks and the insurance has ran out, 3 days ago I got new car insurance, I got an email, I have my policy number all the documents I can login on the online portal, but I check the gov website (the one you put your number plate in and it tells you when your tax and insurance is due) and it’s STILL saying NOT INSURED! so I have a hospital app in 2 hours, I’m now a bit scared that if I drive past an ANPR police car I’m going to get pulled over immediately!! What will happen?? Can I just show them my email and log into my portal? 

Thank you everyone. I went to my appointment and on the way home just so happened to be in a lane next to an ANPR police car, he was in the left lane at the round about waiting to go and I was coming up in the right lane, he didn’t do anything at all!!! He just turned left and off he went and I turned right. I got home checked again and my car was still showing as uninsured. So I’m not sure why he didn’t stop me, but I’m glad he didn’t. 

You say you paid - but they have not got the actual money in their bank account.  Just numbers.  So until the bank verifies that yes you had the money and yes money was actually deposited in the insurance account you will remain UNINSURED...that could be 48 hours.

I am not familiar with UK law. It would seem logical that if you have documentation that you have current insurance, even if you are stopped, you shouldn't be charged if you can show the documents.

In response to your update, my GUESS is that they don't check the files unless there is something else to attract their attention.

WILL YOU GET PULLED OVER? Hopefully, yes, but I'm afraid the reliable fortune telling machine hasn't been invented yet.

Yeah, sure. 👍🏼

You have insurance.

You have proof of insurance.

Make sure it's in the car!

Go to your appointment.

Drive the car!

Leave early, just in case.

• ?

The MID sometimes has delays in being updated. 

So yes, there’s a chance that any police with ANPR may stop you, but as long as you have proof of insurance with you then it’s all good.

If you’re genuinely worried about being stopped, allow an extra 10 to 15 minutes to your journey time and also take proof of your hospital appointment so that if you are stopped police can ensure that the delay is minimised. 

EDIT: The added bit to your story is not right. 

Very few people are aware of which police cars have ANPR and which don’t. These days even unmarked police cars can have them. 

But if the car DID have ANPR as you claim, then unless they were on the way to an emergency then they WOULD have stopped you. The ANPR flashes an alert and if they ignore it then they still have to follow up on it later and that takes up a bit of time even just flagging it for others to take action on. That means they, or other officers, would come knocking at your door. It’s MUCH easier and quicker for them to stop you, and a legitimate stop allows them the opportunity to see whether other offences can be detected, such as vehicle defects, or carriage of illegal drugs or weapons, or problems regarding the driver/occupants (outstanding warrants, false identity, illegal immigration, no/suspended driving licence). A legitimate reason to stop someone can be a goldmine for Plod.

So you were either mistaken and the police car had no ANPR, or the car you saw was not a police car. Or that whole story was made up or just the added bit.

• ?

Sorry but my crystal ball is broken and I can no longer tell you what will happen in the future.

Ideally you need to print off a copy of the Certificate of Insurance. But if you take all of the details with you especially the Policy Number the police will phone your insurer and all will be peace and light.

• ?

Sometimes it takes a while for the databases to talk to each other.  If it's still showing as uninsured when you pass an anpr equipped car you are going to be stopped but you can prove you now have insurance, can't you?  The police will usually call the insurers on the spot to confirm your cover. No problem.

you have proof your legal ..go!