Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 2 months ago

What would you say if your kid is really sick but still wants to go to school? ?

When I was in middle school in Asia back in 2000s, parents and teachers tended to praise the kids who go to school despite being very sick. One morning, i came down with a fever of 103, but i lied to my mom by saying that i felt fine to go to school. The reason was because I loved history class so much and did not want to miss it even though I felt miserable. As I claimed to be well enough, my mom just had me take the medicine and drove me to school. 

Now, as i am in progress of earning a teaching credential, it brings me curiosity about how parents handle children's school sick days and their approach to education. I am wondering, if you are the parents, how would you say to your child if the above situation happens to her? 

• MS

My kids don't get to decide.  If they are sick they stay home so that they don't get others sick.  Sending a sick child to school is selfish.

I would say it's not up to my kid because I'm the parent and I, not my kid, make all decisions regarding my kid's welfare, including but not limited to my kid's health and education. 

Also, what you're saying about Asia is a straight-up lie. If you were really from Asia and not a lying troll, you'd know that the 2000s was after the start of SARS and MERS (both of which are coronavirus diseases), at which point it became a mandate throughout Asia for parents to keep their sick kids home, a mandate that became cultural, and parents who failed to or refused to were scorned by their neighbors and community and even often legally punished for sending their sick kid to school and endangering other students and public health.