K S Lall asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 2 months ago

I am having a semi-formal dinner party. For a fruit and cheese plate for dessert, what fruits and cheeses to serve?

I am also thinking of having a second, sweet dessert. What to have? The main course will be Pakistani, mutton qorma (spicy semi-dry curry) with naan bread, and chicken biryani (spicy fragrant rice with chicken). Any other ideas are welcome. I am actually entertaining an office colleague who I have my eye on (same-sex). The qorma and biryani will be child's play to make, as I simply use Shan™ (pronounced Shaan) brand pre-mixed spice mix from the Pakistani ethnic store and follow the directions. I am not the world's greatest cook, but cooking with Shan™ is supremely easy, with perfect results every time. If there are any more ideas for the meal, or for snaring the office colleague, they will be most welcome!

Favorite Answer

If I were serving an ethnic meal I'd probably follow through on the ethnic theme with the dessert.  I would probably think hard about whether the cheese plate would be appropriate after an ethnic meal.  I don't know much about pakistani food, but you seem to so you may want to look to pakistani desserts and after meal treats if you can find them.

I am a very good cook, and I find meals that are planned with a balance of textures and flavors that work together tend to be more seamless.  

It's been a long time since I tried to "snare" someone with food, but if I were in that situation I'd also be thinking of keeping things satisfying but not to heavy and avoiding foods that cause gas or stinky breath.  I want things to appear ... natural and relaxed and not overly planned at home. The bathroom must be spotless and I'd have my music and lighting planned out in advance.  Fresh flowers literally lift moods and make you feel better so I'd have unpretentious flowers at the table (avoid really smelly ones on the table) and another small boquet in the living area and maybe a teeny one or a single flower in the bathroom.

If I'm trying to get lucky a spotlessly clean bedroom with clean sheets and bedding and fluffy pillows is a must have.  And it wouldn't hurt to have the cheese plate ready and covered in the fridge, along with an extra bottle of a nice light wine in case you need a snack after getting lucky.  As for fruit with the cheese, grapes and strawberries, the best you can find.  Grapes are in season right now and the big round red ones are awesome.  For cheeses, I like to have a variety of textures, something firm, something softer, something spreadable.  If you have a Trader Joes in your area they have an excellent cheese selection and good prices.  I am particularly partial to their Toscanos,  if they have the one with cinnamon get that, or the one soaked in chardonnay.  If they dont have those get the one with pepper.  Their cheddar with caramelized onions is to die for.  And then something much softer.

• ?

Kulfi [ice cream] can be bought in some 'Asian' stores in flavours [ like pistachio e.t.c.]

Paneer is a mild cheese that's used in Asian' recipes, grapes are a usual fruit to serve with cheese, you could try some melon cubes or some mango? 

Kraft slices and a banana     .

• kswck2

It is less of what Kind of fruits and cheese to serve and more of what is Available at this time of year. For the most part, grapes, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are available. You can chunk up some watermelon if it is not too expensive or cut and hollow out a pineapple and fill it with either the fruit or some sort of dip and surround it with the fruit 

Cheeses like Brie can get messy to eat, especially if the platter is left out for a while, so I would stick to pepper jack, cheddar, swiss, Muenster. 

Some water crackers on the side is good too. 

I was charged with dessert for a dinner party and served fruit and cheese. I used one of those ring slicer things and hollowed out a pineapple, then cut it in half lengthwise making a long bowl for the fruits. Pineapple, strawberries, grapes, raspberries and blueberries were the fruit. I went to Aldi and bought five or six different cheeses, sugared the fruit and set it out as a buffet. The cheeses with odor, bleu and Camembert seemed to be the favorite cheeses. Oh, and I served crackers with the spread.

anything you want to serve