Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

Which one is grammatically correct?

I have seen her at the grocery store

I saw her at the grocery store

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Adele
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Both are correct  

great:)

• 2 months ago

"I saw her"......Refers to a specific time......."there yesterday."

"I have seen her".......means many times. Unspecified time. "there, a lot of times".

Though in common American speech, they are used interchangeably.

Source(s): Native American English speaker, for many decades.
  • 2 months ago

Both are correct. You choose which to use depending on the context.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Both appear correct, present perfect or simple past can be used alternatively depending on situations.

• 2 months ago

The 2nd one..............

• 2 months ago

I have seen her at some time or other, perhaps many times but that does not matter, there was at least one time but probably many times. Might even be reasonable to expect to see her again tomorrow, but I am not saying that for sure.  Seems like she is at that store a lot.  I have seen her there.

I saw her one time, not saying when or even if I saw her many times, just that I saw here that one time; not talking about any other possible times that I may have seen her-only talking about that one time. She was there at that time; I saw her.  Was she ever there some other time?  I am not talking about other times so not telling you anything at all about any other possible times.  They are not what I am saying here.  I saw her that one time, end of discussion.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The present perfect (have seen) and the simple past (saw) can be used interchangeably for an event at an unspecified time in the past. The implication of the present perfect is that you could see her again. For example, you can't say, "JFK has talked about how to help the country" because JFK is dead and will never say that again. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Both Correct and english

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

they both sound okay to me

• 2 months ago

They're both correct, but they have somewhat different meanings.  "I have seen her..." refers to the past in general, while "I saw her..." refers to a specific time in the past.  Have you ever seen her?  Yes, I have seen her.  Meaning, at any time in the past.  Did you see her (yesterday)?  Yes, I saw her.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.