Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

What do fathers have to offer to a child?

I was raised by a single mother, the same as all of my closest friends. I used to get upset set, but now I know my mother did a damn good job, and I don't even care about that a**hole anymore. Less and less fathers are sticking around these days, are their any good fathers too their kids? What do fathers even have to offer them?

• Foofa

If your single mother did a damn good job at raising you she worked twice as hard as she would have if there were a coparent in the picture. But the fact that you think so little of men and fathers doesn't indicate that you grew up in a well rounded environment. Being raised well involves more than just not ending up homeless. 

Oh, hell yes!

Fathers are IMPORTANT in a child's life because they learn about being a man or choosing a man based on their own father.

A good father "imprints" on his boy the values he should have to be a man.  He teaches, supports, mentors and counsels his son all through life.  The boy learns so much from his father and cannot accomplish his goals or grow to be his best as an adolescent without his father's support and approval.  

A good father "imprints" on his girl the values that she should seek out in the man whom she decides to marry.  He makes the girl feel safe and values within the family and he teaches her how to be strong and powerful on her own.  He supports and mentors her and teaches her how to accomplish her goals.  He gives her a healthy self esteem and thus, she is not attracted to losers at all.  She becomes her own woman. 

Sure, a lot of dudes fail and run away from their responsibilities.  And it's not about your wealth or what you can buy for your kids...it's about spending TIME WITH THEM....that's love.

i think theres some good ones around

• rick

I worked 44 hours a week to pay for everything they had, until they moved out to live on their own. I changed their shitty diapers, and did a gazillion loads of laundry. I kept the house and grounds safe and usable for them to have a place to grow and play. After their mother moved out I went to all their games, to PTA and teacher conferences. I answered all their scary and embarrassing questions about where babies come from. I let them know that I supported and loved them even when they fvcked up so bad they should have been euthanized. I was a single dad to four girls.

There are good fathers of course. There's nothing wrong with not being connected with your dad. However, a father is just another person looking out for you, just like a mother. It's like having a boyfriend/girlfriend and a best friend, you don't need both but it can be nice to have both of them and sometimes, the boyfriend/girlfriend can be both and that's enough.