Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

James asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 2 months ago

With a maths degree and a masters of social work degree would I be competitive for a teaching position?

I do not have a teaching degree but I have a maths degree and a masters of social work degree. Would I be able to get a job as a teacher? Or will I have to do another degree in teaching? Goal is to work in Steiner school.

Favorite Answer

I have no idea what a Steiner school is. I can tell you that most public school systems are so desperate for math teachers that they have special licensure plans- where you can get hired and take a few years to take the education courses you need for licensure. Private middle and high schools can hire you without licensure. I know someone who had a math degree but no education courses. She was snapped up by a private school at a pretty good salary. 

• fcas80

You should visit the board of education website of the geographic location and learn the requirements to become a teacher.  A public school teacher will certainly need student teaching experience, plus passing some state exams.  Private school teaching may have different requirements.

• MS

Steiner/Waldorf schools have a lot of freedom to determine their own curriculum and their own hiring practices.  I imagine your chances would depend on the particular school and its practices.  You would not be qualified to teach in the public school system with those degrees.

Steiner schools, I'm told, are different.  The ordinary state requirements for being a teacher may not apply.  Please inquire directly.