Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why do staff in American companies in UK tell you to have a nice day, when you buy a sandwich from them?

like in Pret A Manger, the sandwich shop, where they wear t shirts with TEAM PRET written on the back

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I wouldn't know, 'cos I don't go in places like Pret A Manger. Too bloody expensive for me, mate! I wouldn't pay their bleedin' prices if my bloody life depended on it, mush! 

• 2 months ago

Because it is a very American thing to do. It makes the experience stand out from your typical experience. 

• Craig
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

They assume that people come into their American sandwich shoppe in part because it IS an American sandwich shoppe, and the American-ness is one of the things the customers expect (and perhaps WANT) to find there.  As a result, staff are trained in American customs, however inane.  They will set your food before you and bid you "Enjoy", as if you wouldn't unless invited...or as if you will now enjoy something that you don't actually like, because they've said their incantation.  It's just American.  That's what you came for, isn't it?  What's with the complaint?

Just admire the American-ness of it, take your damn sandwich, charge your card and leave with what you came for in hand!  You've just managed to trade advantageously with the savage natives!  Congrats, world explorer!

• 2 months ago

It is a very american thing. Personally I do not like being told what sort of day to have. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.