Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

If I've already taken AP Language as a junior, should I take AP Literature in my senior year?

I know these are two different courses but I've heard some people say that there's no point in taking both unless you're majoring in something English related.

I'd like to major in biology

What's the alternative? And where do you want to go to college?

If you're interested in an Ivy League university, or one of similar competitiveness, you need to take the most challenging classes that are available to you. Taking Honors English senior year, instead of AP Literature, would need a very strong, valid excuse (e.g. "it conflicted with AP Physics C") (and don't think the admissions committee won't check with your college guidance counselor), or the admissions committee will hold it against you. 

If you're planning to go to a less competitive university, for example your state university (unless it's a "public Ivy" like UVA), then check to see whether both AP Language and AP Literature are accepted for college credit, and what the required exam scores are. Taking AP Literature might give you a second chance on placing out, if your AP Language score is too low. But if you intend to go to the state university, you may just be better off taking freshman English Composition as a dual-enrollment class senior year than bothering with an AP. 

• ?

What you do plan to major in at college?  Look up the course requirements for your planned degree.  Take every AP course you can that would give you progress towards your degree.  Don't waste time taking any course that doesn't.

.

Language and Lit are both required as GenEd credits for every major.  But some of the other AP's are a waste of time unless you are in a major that needs the credit.

.

Any AP course that gets you out of the college version saves you from a few thousand dollars in tuition.

• drip

Take it. Both those AP classes will help a student with college level classes no matter what their major is. They do cover different material and skills. You will need to be able to read quickly, have a high comprehension of what you read, know how to annotate.  

https://www.jamesgmartin.center/2013/04/scientists...