Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 2 months ago

What is "knowledge of food"?

I saw a job ad for a waiter and one of the requirements is "knowledge of food." What exactly does that mean?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Pretty vague thing to say, so has no "exactly mean" to it.  I am pretty certain that there is almost no one alive who you could say does not have knowledge of food.  Clearly, what they have said is not what they mean.  What do they mean?  They did not say.

I presume they are seeking someone who has a fairly good knowledge of food and its various forms and distinctions, what it tastes like and things such as that, but to what extent, who knows?  They do not say.

• Adele
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Hi,

Food knowledge allows individuals to make good food choices on, not only what to eat, but how to eat it and where to source it from.

• 2 months ago

Especially in fancy restaurants, people may not understand what some of the items are. So they will ask questions. Any way the waiter can't just say 'I don't know'.

How food is prepared. What are the ingredients. Does this have a lot of salt. What cut of meat, kind of fish etc.

Customer may ask the waiter to recommend something.

Source(s): Health concernes matter a lot thesedays
  • 2 months ago

It depends on the type of restaurant, so in a relatively upscale one they would expect you to know different cuts of steak, fish, chicken etc and different ways of cooking them; to be able to recognise more vegetables than just potatoes, broccoli and carrots; to have a confident grasp of the better-known cooking methods; to know how to pronounce the more common French or Italian words that we often find on menus.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

It means you can identify foods, know how to prepare them safely and with the best flavor and texture, and how to combine foods to complement their flavors.  Like, which types of flavors go well together (like sweet and sour) and which don't (like sweet and savory).  Like, the kinds of vegetables, meats and cheeses in a pizza go well together, but maybe adding chocolate on top won't cut it at all.  Yuk!

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

That you can tell an egg from a tomato and so on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.