Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How much does it cost to take care of a dog within a year in 2021?

• .
    Favorite Answer

Right now, to date, our dog has cost us around $320 and it's not even March yet. Why? Food, new toys, treats, a vet visit for a wound that I freaked out about (he's fine), and just misc. things like shampoo, a new collar, wipes, whatever. Last year, he cost us even MORE because we had to get him fixed, get booster shots, and he got conjunctivitis. Also, last year I spent a lot for grooming tools, since he's a neurotic weirdo and hates the groomers, so I got him a nice comb and nail trimmers to do it all myself. Also got ear wipes and eye wash (preventative, as whatever was in the dirt caused the eye infection to begin with).

God willing, the next vet visit won't be until September when he gets his checkup (and that should be $120 or so), but there will still be food to buy and the odd toy and treat I see. This is MY dog, so I'll round it off to a good $1400 per year just on basic needs and checkups alone. I know my mom spends a good $200 a month on her old girl for raw food and her meds, so that's $2,400 for the year, give or take, on just food and medication. Dogs cost more when they are older or have health problems. Dogs CAN cost less with more preventative measures taken by the owner. 

• garry

costs , well $20 a week for food , extra for the monthly shampoo ,once a reay vet costs , toys , dog lead and rain coat , bedding , blankets and anti-flea powder ,atleast $2,000 a year .then you have the one of cost of the dog and a one of death  cost. and that what it costs for a small dog .

I have never taken that into consideration.  I just know I love dogs & whatever it takes to keep them healthy is my big concern.  Cost does not matter.  Dogs must be in my life & I accept whatever come my way.  They may not get the best that money can buy but I manage cause I have accepted the responsibility of keeping dogs.

• Adele

You should budget around $500 per year in most cases for ongoing costs too. Those costs vary based on the size of your pet, brands you prefer, and assumes your pet is generally healthy.

25 dollar.      

It will cost you your dignity.

https://youtu.be/1xXsAhe0uIw

• *****

Varies hugely by size and type of dog, location, and other individual factors. Larger dogs cost more to feed than small. Long haired dogs will have larger grooming expenses. Any illness or injury can easily add hundreds or thousands to your annual expense. If you have to (for medical reasons) or simply choose to feed a specialty product, that also will increase expenses. Living in a high cost area likewise will increase expenses across the board. If you travel without your pets, you can also add on boarding or pet sitting fees. If you work long hours, a dog walker or doggy daycare will also add to your expenses. Between my two small short-haired dogs, one of which is elderly and has chronic health problems needing regular vet visits, specialist testing, and moderately expensive medications, and the other of which requires a specialty food, and living in a high cost resort area, I spend about $5,000 a year for both (probably at least 2/3 of that towards my elderly dog). If you're on a budget, and your dogs have no special needs, your expenses may be significantly lower. I normally see estimates around $800-1000 a year to keep an average dog, but you should also budget for circumstances beyond your control, including a possible need for specialty food, medication, emergency vet care, etc.  In the first year of ownership, expenses are often higher due to needing to buy one-time items like collars, leashes, bowls, bed, crate, etc. 

Anywhere from $250 to $25,000. 

It varies from person to person and dog to dog.    One vet visit can set you back $1500 or more.   Some people pay $500/month for doggie daycare.   Some people pay $100/week for a dog trainer to come to their home.  A serious chronic medical issue could be a very large ongoing expense.

And then there's the "stuff" you might need like building a fence or Invisible fence, etc.

Anyways. Dogs are expensive. They can cost up to 10000 a year due to them just being nasty walking parasites. 

You have vet bills, food, doggy clothes, toys,  dog house, Leash, groom, insurance and if it attacks people you could be sued. 

Honestly you are better off with a fish. 

• Maxi

That depends on the dog and where in the world you live.......... vet care, food, bedding, toys, leads, insurance... maybe grooming, holiday boarding, dog walker, trainer/behaviourist