Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 months ago

Is affirmative action for women sexist?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Herve
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes as the UK has had the Equal Pay Act since 1970, and women are already more likely to go into further education.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Women already have the same rights as men. They have for some time. Any infringement of these rights is illegal and should be persued to the full extent of the law. Any proposed law or mandate that favors women over men would be sexist and therefore illegal. The same can be said about race.

• 2 months ago

Yes.

But Affirmative Action is racist.

Regardless that some have argued that Affirmative Action discriminates minorities putting them in a disadvantage.

I disagree with them because Identifying as an Indian or Black gives you privilege.

Elizabeth Warren was only accepted into Harvard because she lied about her nationality.

• Elana
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By-and-large, yes.

For me, affirmative action is only appropriate when *ALL* of the following criteria are met:

1:  There is significant imbalance in the ratio of whatever your populations are

2:  There is a significant win to be made by improving that imbalance3:  Affirmative action will actually significantly change that imbalance

For such programs as those trying to increase the number of women doing firefighting, it's just laughable, if it weren't so dangerous.  Why?  So that more women think they can be firefighters?  That is not enough reason, sorry.I have no problem with women firefighters who can actually do the tasks that front-line firefighters can do.  All power to them.But no, we don't need to increase their numbers just for the sake of making the numbers the same - there is little societal win and definite loss due to safety.

VERY few things adhere to my criteria, but there are a couple that immediately come to mind:

1:  We should have more men teaching K-12 - to give boys more role models.  This would potentially give boys more chance to grow up outside of gangs, etc.  The thing is, just deliberately hiring more men won't be self-sustaining.  You need a continual push against the bigotry that says it is a bad idea to leave kids with men, or as soon as you stop hiring men to quota, the problems will come back.

2:  We should be giving preference to men over women in colleges to increase the number of men graduating to make sure that more and more men are hireable.  As several sociologists have pointed out, the major political problems in the Middle East are not due to who has the oil, the co-location of 3 religions or even lack of water - but rather all of those unemployed men looking to organize and make account of themselves.

But it will take more than just accepting more boys into higher learning, it will take a huge push to make learning cool (such as during the US Apollo program).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I call it misguided. What it is about, is cramming huge squares into teeny weeny round holes just to make the lower huge squares look as if they are equal to those teeny weeny round holes.

For instance:

Group A is tops in school and Group F is not, but the rub is, how to have F do the same as Group A, so that they don't feel left out? Why the answer is put them together and give them the same course load. What happened? Group F failed. 

This is the very concept feminism has adopted for women. 

You cannot put a woman in a field she is not ready for emotionally and or academically and expect her to be on the top; special favors are a cover up and don't produce accurate (true) results. Pardon me if in many cases I call it demeaning rather than sexist?

• 2 months ago

No, it would be the opposite.

• 2 months ago

"Is affirmative action for women sexist?"

Yes it meets the definition of sexism.  It is discriminating against mens right to an equal opportunity, only because they are men.

Worse than that though is that it is demeaning to women.  Imagine holding the conception that women who were born into full agency and equal rights to men, are considered unable to meet men at their own level and compete with them with only equal opportunities.  This idea is also sexist against women if you think about it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes it is ..............

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. It discriminates on the basis of sex, the very definition of sexism.   

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Jokes will stop political change from entering the empire!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.