Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 2 months ago

Wildlife help?

We live in the woods and have skunks, raccoons, opossums, deer, and bear at our house. Last night two raccoons got into a nasty fight under our deck. That's not in common. Today, in daylight, a raccoon wandered into the back yard around the exit for the deck. It was dazed, obviously hurting and looked lik it was drooling. It disappeared behind the shed. We've never had rabbies here, but without getting close how would you know if it's just injured or rabbit? We have 3 feral cats at our house that we've been feeding and trying to catch so they can get spayed/neutered and I'm worried.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Call your local animal control to have them check the raccoon. 

• 2 months ago

The only way to know would be to have a veteranarian check out the raccooon, this would be done at a lab, and with rabies tests! It would not be safe for any person to try to approach the animal in an attempt to check, it would be very dangerous (even if the raccoon doesn't have rabies).

There really isn't much you can do about the cats, sorry! If the cats were bit by the raccoon (assuming the raccoon has rabies), they are dead on arrival, nothing can be done to reverse it. The only thing you could do is set a trap for the cats, and then have them transported to a lab, to get tests to see if they have rabies.

I think the safest bet is to call animal control, and let them deal with the raccoon.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Rabid animals are not wary If they do not flee when you approach them, they are most likely rabid, because during the final stage of rabies, a rabid animal's brain has been taken over by the virus, and it will try to bite, because biting helps the virus find a new host instead of dying when its host dies.  Viruses of course have no brain, but if it can somehow change the behavior of its host so it can be transmitted, then it survives and the genes that help it survive by making a rabid animal bite will be passed along to future generations. Unfortunately for the virus, human victims do not bite (because we do not bite instinctively to defend ourselves) and so it generally dies after it infects humans, but enough of the viruses survive when one animal bites another one that the virus avoids extinction. 

• 2 months ago

Well, there is cause for concern, perhaps wildlife office can trap the injured raccoon and go from there.

What your wildlife office can do is tell you of any cases of rabies in your county and the animal found with it.

They can connect you with rehabbers that can also deal with injured animals as well as help with your feral cats.

Now a fight last night, no animal will be symptomatic with rabies, it would take at least 3 days to see the effects.

Also, your cats (#2) are nearly as high a vector for rabies as raccoons (#1) Skunks are #4 behind dogs. Possum and porcupine are low risk.

I grew up with a wilderness back yard and all these animals.

My younger sister was always feeding the raccoons, which just invites their friends. they will go for any cat food you leave out and you don't want coons becoming pests, wildlife has to relocate them.

I rescued possums, skunks, and porcupine, mostly orphaned babies and they are all sweet animals. we had deer around also, and the little red fox. Rabbits, Like the whole zoo. Really miss my little animals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

A rabid animal is clumsy and will not drink water, among other things.  If you can see it drink water, it is probably not rabid.  

In your place, I would call the vet or the City, or a n animal shelter to find out whether any cases of rabies has been in your area.  

• Sandy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

call the wildlife animal control in your area. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.