Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

Have you ever owned or wanted a bike with Campagnolo components?

• Dick

I own three. I raced bikes with Campy components for a lot of years.

• ?

Yes, I have owned several bikes with Campy. My current road bike is Campy Chorus. Campy used to be the best in the business. I think it is still extraordinary stuff. My tri bike is Shimano. Good stuff too.

IF I were to buy another road bike..... or build one... I would love to go with Campy. But, finding bikes with it are hard to come by. Shimano has taken over as the components of choice.

Shimano for life. The stuff just works with no fuss. Campagnolo is a very prestigious brand, and the modern stuff does work really well when set up correctly. However, it can be pretty finicky at times from what many owners and several bike shops have told me. If I could use word beautiful to describe a road bike component group, it would be a Campy group. The stuff looks like art.  I still think from a fit and function perspective, Shimano is better, but Shimano is very industrial looking in comparison. Campy is darn right gorgeous. Also, not to sound like a bike snob, but if you have an Italian brand bike (ie, Colnago, Pinarello, Bianchi, DeRosa, etc), it's darn near blasphemy to run anything other than Campagnolo components on it in my opinion. I really like the Colnago Master, but I'm too much of a Shimano fan boy to ruin the look of that gorgeous frameset with a Shimano group. 

• ?

Never experienced it. Any decent bike I’ve had , has had Shimano gears.

• ?

Campagnolo stuff has been around for closer to 90 years. And I have several bikes with mostly Campagnolo components. They were the standard for racing components.50 years ago.

Yes, Campag' stuff has been around more than 60 years.

No and no.  The Tiagra components on my 11 year old Raleigh Clubman still work great.  If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  

• David

I have bikes with part Campy components. No full Campy.

Never really ”wanted” a full Campy bike. 

I’ve got more Shimano parts and tools, and don’t find Campy special enough to start building up stock of Campy stuff as well.

• pmt853

Yes and yes. All Shimano again now.

Amongst the big 3 (Shimano, Sram, Campagonol) you tend to get what you're willing to pay for. To stay competitive with one another the big 3 offers similar quality and features in their components for around the same price.

In other words a component Campagonol sells for a  $1000, Shimano and Sram will have something very similar to it in quality, features and performance levels for around a $1000.

That having been said, you should consult with a reputable bicycle shop before mixing components from different companies. A reputable bicycle shop should be able to tell you if the mixed companies components are compatible with one another. 

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.