BAD RAM or BAD RAM SLOT?

My computer was rebooting itself at random, and the other day it never booted up at all.

When I managed to get the computer to turn on it showed up 8GB of RAM in windows, when it should have been showing up 16GB 1866mhz DDR3 RAM.

I turned off the computer and removed all sticks of RAM and then I put one stick of ram in and booted up the computer, and it turned on, however nothing displayed on the screen, but you could hear grinding noises from the hard drive. The hard drive monitor activity light never came on. 

So I turned off the computer.

I took that stick out and tossed it away, and put in another stick of ram into that same slot, it booted up perfectly and showed me no more problems. 

I didn't test the slot that the bad ram was in, but do you guys think it was just a bad stick or bad ram slot?

I had two 8GB of DDR3 1866mhz RAM

• Lv 7
    Favorite Answer

it's possible the slot was bad too, but it is more common to see RAM go bad than RAM slots.

plus, since it dodn't start with that stick (assuming you tried both sticks in the same slot), then you know the stick is bad.

be sure if you replace it to either get one identical to what you have (try ebay), or buy 2 identical sticks, so that dual channel kicks in, which makes things faster.

Well, according to you, you tested the slot with a different stick of ram. (however, that does not negate the possibility that the stick you "tossed" just wasn't seated correctly)

"I took that stick out and tossed it away, and put in another stick of ram into that same slot, it booted up perfectly and showed me no more problems."

- BTW a "grinding HD" is never a good sign...and I have never seen a stick of ram, good, bad or otherwise cause it so I recommend you start backing up your files if you don't already have a backup copy.