Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

BAD RAM or BAD RAM SLOT?

My computer was rebooting itself at random, and the other day it never booted up at all.

When I managed to get the computer to turn on it showed up 8GB of RAM in windows, when it should have been showing up 16GB 1866mhz DDR3 RAM.

I turned off the computer and removed all sticks of RAM and then I put one stick of ram in and booted up the computer, and it turned on, however nothing displayed on the screen, but you could hear grinding noises from the hard drive. The hard drive monitor activity light never came on. 

So I turned off the computer.

I took that stick out and tossed it away, and put in another stick of ram into that same slot, it booted up perfectly and showed me no more problems. 

I didn't test the slot that the bad ram was in, but do you guys think it was just a bad stick or bad ram slot?

Update:

I had two 8GB of DDR3 1866mhz RAM

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

it's possible the slot was bad too, but it is more common to see RAM go bad than RAM slots.

plus, since it dodn't start with that stick (assuming you tried both sticks in the same slot), then you know the stick is bad.

be sure if you replace it to either get one identical to what you have (try ebay), or buy 2 identical sticks, so that dual channel kicks in, which makes things faster.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well, according to you, you tested the slot with a different stick of ram. (however, that does not negate the possibility that the stick you "tossed" just wasn't seated correctly)

"I took that stick out and tossed it away, and put in another stick of ram into that same slot, it booted up perfectly and showed me no more problems."

- BTW a "grinding HD" is never a good sign...and I have never seen a stick of ram, good, bad or otherwise cause it so I recommend you start backing up your files if you don't already have a backup copy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.