Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Is blood type determined by mother or by father?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your question is very vague as 'blood type' is quite meaningless.

I suspect that you mean their ABO blood group, i.e. whether they are blood group A, B, AB or O.

This is controlled by two genes. One determines whether you have an ABO antigen or not. If that gene determines you have one the second gene determines which it is. The frist gene has two alleles - ABO antigen present or ABO antigen absent. The other has alleles that determine A, B or O.

Humans are diploid, i.e. we have two copies of each chromosome and thus two copies of each gene. You have two copies of the two genes I mention above. You get one copy of each from your biological father and another copy of each from your biological mother.

It depends which allele of each gene you inherit is. For example, if your father gives you the O allele for the ABO antigen and your mother the A allele you will be blood group A. This is because A is dominant to O, which means if a person is AO it is the A allele that is expressed, i.e. the one that determines this character of their phenotype.

So you do not inherit any of your many blood groups from only one parent. You inherit two genes for each: one from each parent. It then depends on which alleles you have that determine your blood groups.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The possible blood type comes from both

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

It is determined by a combination of both.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.