Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

In cooking, what is a cup or half a cup?

One thing that always annoys me to no end, is the term 'cup'. 

Now I'm not exactly one of those posh aristocratic connoisseurs who knows how to eat Titanic (1996) style ok.. I don't know what all those f**kin spoons and knives are for!!!!  GOD!!! 

So what is meant by a CUP? So the receipe is half a cup of pomegranite, half a cup of grapefruit and a pinch of salt in a blender and drink it..

How do i even fit a pomegranite into a coffee mug or tea cup????  it is physically impossible!!! I don't get this "half a cup" sh**... help me please

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Didn't you go to school? They sell measuring cups at the grocery store. You can get one at Walmart or if you need go to the Dollar Tree or Dollar General. Most stores sell them. They aren't hard to find.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A cup for food is 8 ounces.  Pomegranite is ground up in a blender or with a fork and poured into a cup,  A coffee mug varies but is about 6 ounces.  If you have a measuring cup...even the cheap plastic ones, that is accurate enough.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A cup is 3 and a half gallons. 

• 2 months ago

a cup is 8 ounces more or less 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

its a measure tool used to measure. 8 ounces is a cup. 4 ounces is half a cup. hope this helps.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Cup is a unit of measures. Not a drinking vessel 

• 2 months ago

A cup is 8 ounces by a measuring cup which you need a set/not a coffee cup. Half a cup would be 4 ounces. The grapefruit you would peel, break into sections and put as many sections as will go in a half cup measuring cup/firmly but don't press down. Pomegranates also have to be peeled.  The problem is that the little red berries in a pomegranates have seeds inside; but, are edible. So, fill the half cup with the pom berries and seeds and blend.  Depending on blender will define how much the seeds are "cut up".  I guess you drink it seeds and all. Pomegranate seeds are very healthy full of anti-oxidants.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

US (and other countries) measure a lot of things by volume - they are not just any old cup, a standard cup is 240 ml, approx a quarter of a litre. You would chop peeled fruit to measure it this way, but a lot of countries would do it by weight which is far more precise.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.