Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 2 months ago

Does a man's penis (and balls) come from his father or his mother?

I mean does the genes that make this part of a man's body comes from his father or his mother.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Gender genes, not penis and ball genes. 

• 2 months ago

In both sexes the sex organs develop from the same tissues. If you have received an X-chromosome from your father you will be XX. That makes you a female and female sex organs develop.

If you inherit a Y-chromosome from your father you will be XY and as a result these tissues develop into the male sex organs, e.g. penis and testes.

Therefore, it is neither your mother or father that gives you these sex organs. They result from the sex chromosomes you have. As females are XX they can only give their offspring an X-chromosome. As males ar XY they can give offspring an X- or a Y-chromosome.

I hope this helps; it is a long time since I looked at any Developmental Biology.

• 2 months ago

Both.  the differentiation into the male organ is after the main segregation to sex-system cells occurs. There is a universally-carried construction code that makes the pre-differentiation mass (the proto-sex organs).  Portions of the y (male) chromosome then add chemicals that cause the change to male sex organ.  Absent those chemicals, the mass continues to develop into the female organ.

Or so I was taught.  The details come from "dad".  The basic structure is from both.

• 2 months ago

The genes for the penis come from BOTH the father and mother. The Y chromosome (from the father) controls a few growth factors for the penis and balls, so that they have a certain shape and function. The X chromosome (from the mother) also has a lot of the growth factors for the penis & balls. So overall, it’s about half and half. The X chromosome works differently when there is a Y chromosome to work with.

The X chromosome has over 800 genes, while the Y has less than 200. Many of these are inactive, or the function is not known.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.