Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

When should children learn about people outside of the gender binary?

My brother is 6 and I, a lesbian, really think he should learn about the fact that there are more genders than just male and female. I also think he should learn about transgender people, but my mum wants him to learn when he is older. I am really annoyed because I think children should be learning about lgbtqia+ at a younger age, but my mum is reacting like teaching children about non-binary people or genderfluid people is like teaching children about reproduction! ugh

Okay, this is the update. I am not here to be told I am wrong, or that there is no such thing as non-binary people, etc. so **** off and dont say the f slurr. Thank you to the people that are actually respectful of the lgbtq community, have answered my question without being rude such as eric, xxx000au and the anonymous person i have made my favourite answer.

literally shut the f u c k up if you think there are only two genders. i literally could not care less

Favorite Answer

You are correct, your mother is wrong.

By the time he is older he will have learned adult prejudices.

The best time to teach them is before that happens.

Just keep it age appropriate (no fancy words).

f u c k you all

Teaching him about enbies is no different than teaching him that there are boys and girls. Ask her if she thinks teaching him about boys and girls is also teaching him about reproduction. Hes old enough to learn about non-binary people. 

There's no such thing as non-binary, genderfluid, transwoman/man nonsense. Those are all invalid terms used to describe fags with serious mental illnesses to the point where they deny basic human biology. Even worse in the case of trannies, they even consider self mutilation of their genitals which (like all self harm) is a clear-cut sign of mental insanity. 

Bottom line are that these people are not societally valid and need to be locked away in a mental ward. If you're an alleged lesbo, consider seeking Conversion Therapy to see if you can break the cycle and start having a normal life.

Your mom is kinda right. Where she gets it wrong is there are only 2 genders, male and female. Your trying to fill her head with nonsense. I'm guessing your like 13 and aren't even sexually active. You've probably haven't even kissed a girl. You just think being a lesbian is the cool thing to do cuz it being shoved down your throat also and you turn to do the same thing to your sister.

Did I get it right?

Then the best way forward is to simply introduce him to such people. 

He will then ask your mum and that will force her hand.    Yes she will be pissed but you simply play the ignorance card,  put it to her that you had wanted to discuss this before hand but she tied your hands so when he was confronted it was challenging as he was unprepared.   

May I ask what you think needs to be taught?

You want your brother's mind messed up like yours is? Really? Give the kid a break.

• Tasm

You have to learn things in small steps or you learn nothing at all and will be aimless in life. The logical first step, and to get a solid foundation, is to learn what is normal. 

It IS akin to teaching about reproduction. Wait a few years. It's not worth confusing the kid for what? What possible benefit can you see by teaching him so early? Too little to gain, too much to lose.