Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

How do I deal with this ANNOYING behaviour? ?

There's this person in my family who constantly tries to control me!!!!! It really annoys me!!! I'm 20 years old and all they seem to want to do is ANNOY me and go out of their way to control me in any shape or form! It's getting to the point where I feel upset and angry all the time. How to deal with controlling behaviour? 

By the way, I don't appreciate that rude answer, be more polite towards a question someone's asking :) 

• Rita

Managing Your Own Irritating Behavior

Empathize. Try to see the situation from the other person's perspective and ask him to clarify what has annoyed him. ...

Be aware of body language. ...

Think positively. ...

Ask yourself, "Is this fair?" Complaints needn't be personal attacks. ...

Use self-reflection.

The only way to deal with an "annoying" family member is to move out when the situation presents itself.

If you feel upset about it, they have won and they know they can control you.

You deal with it by walking away when they try, by not hanging out with them, by ignoring them.

• ?

You and your question are annoying.

Such a person will always be a control freak, no matter what age they are.  So, its best to put some distance between the two of you and cut off contact with them as much as you can.