alex
alex asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

How many men dodged the draft for the Vietnam war?

Favorite Answer

Most of them, I'd say.  Anyone who had plans for their lives.  Anyone who had something else to do.

When I was in high school in the 60s, all us guys knew we had the draft and the war hanging over our heads as soon as we graduated.  We all read and talked to people and got informed, and once we knew the history/situation, most of us wanted nothing to do with the war.  I did know a few guys who couldn't wait to get into it.  I knew three or four guys who went to Vietnam.  None of them came back the same person.

'Dodging the draft' isn't exactly the right term for what we did.  In WWII a draft dodger was someone who was drafted and refused to go.  It involved moving and  hiding.  None of us got drafted, we simply refused to go to college, or to Canada, or to get married to avoid being drafted.

I don't know, but don't forget the women. Couldn't they have dodged, too?

Richard Spencer dodged the Vietnam War