What is the employability of a certified paralegal without a degree?

I was wondering if I could get some answers from those that employ paralegals. 

I'm looking to become a paralegal but I'm unable to attend classes at the moment because I'm working two jobs. Unfortunately there aren't enough hours in the day for me to actually be able to attend classes at a scheduled time. That being said, a community college near me offers an accredited paralegal program that prepares students for their certification exam. This program is at your own pace, no class times, but costs $4k up front (which I don't have). FAFSA won't cover it, trust me, I've looked. I could take out a personal loan to cover it, but that means another payment every month. Before I commit to something like that, I really need to know if I'll be employable once I'm certified. I want to move forward and get my degree as well, but my hope is that I can pursue a degree with the help of an employer.

Would you hire a certified paralegal without a degree?

No, I would not.  It's not just about being certified.  It's also about English skills, writing skills, skills outside the certification.  In SOME cases a two-year degree AND certification are sufficient.  Usually the requirement is a four-year degree AND certification.  No college equals a glorified secretarial job.  My City is having a tough time during the pandemic, and I am aware of two attorneys who are working as secretaries because there aren't enough paralegal/attorney positions available.

Passing the course is a degree in and of itself, certifying you as a paralegal, IF the particular course does certify you as a paralegal.  You will have to check that.  The certification exam is just an independent qualifier that tests you on your knowledge, sort of like making sure that you properly passed the course, with the knowledge that is expected of you.  Yes, you can work without the certification exam (2 grueling days of questions).  It's your choice whether you want the independent certification in addition to taking and passing the course.  

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years of experience.