Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 2 months ago

How do I convince my dad to stop dumping used motor oil on his property?

I was talking to my dad on the phone today, and he mentioned that he dumps used motor oil on his properly sometimes. I got irritated, and said "why not just take it to the auto parts store, and have them recycle it?". His excuse was "well it comes from the ground anyway, and its going to go back into the ground if I take it to the outo parts store". Im not well informed on the subject, so I kept my mouth shut. I just said that I would always take it to get recycled, and he said that's fine. Am I gonna have to report him, and ruin our relationship over this?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Your dad is wrong on this one.

The raw oil comes from far deep into the ground, but motor oil is refined and not suitable to just pour out in nature. It will damage the nature and actually contribute to the release of toxins into the air.

If he brings it to the auto repair shop, they can refine it and reuse it and make sure that what can't be reused will be properly contained and destroyed.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Take it to the recyclers yourself, at your own cost. That would be doing something for the planet, wouldn't it? 

• 2 months ago

Tell him that "the ground" is where his drinking water comes from.

He might as well just pour the oil in a glass and swallow it.

At least that way, it's only him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.