Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 2 months ago

How do you find the best way to deliver lines in theatre or film?

I'm part of a student film and I want to do a good job. I can easily remember my lines but I struggle with the delivery. What are the best ways to make a line sound natural? I've practiced and practiced but I still don't know whether what I am saying is coming out alright. Is there a way to loosen up? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

(I'm aware that on stage you must emphasise emotion and in film you must tone things down to make it believable.)

Favorite Answer

The best way to make the lines sound "natural" is to first ask yourself what is "natural" to you.  To do this, you must understand the lines and the scene themselves.  What is the situation?  Who is your character?  What are the lines trying to convey?  What is the function of the scene in the overall plot?

Don't think "how am I supposed to act?" but instead think "how would I act in this situation?"  Then ask yourself "how would my character act in this situation?"

To achieve that understanding,  you don't necessarily have to "become" the role as some acting schools teach, but  you do need to connect with it on an emotional and intellectual level.

If you're not sure you're doing it "right" try doing it another way.  Play it soft and moody...then try loud and energetic...do it in a silly "cartoon voice" if you like (when reciting lines alone....as such behavior might not be tolerated in rehearsals and readings).You may find that as you channel the words in different ways, you find different connections to them.  A line that you thought was secondary might suddenly stand out to you as one that should be emphasized emotionally.  You may find yourself instinctively adding a little shrug, eye roll or other body language that adds to your performance.

Literature and dramatic arts are literally the closest humans come to actually reading the minds of others and experiencing their lives first hand.  To take advantage of that opportunity to become someone else you must first do the work to understand that person first.