Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 weeks ago

In French, how do you know when to use le/la/les as pronouns?

From the picture below, couldn't you also say:

"...nous se voyons souvent" or "...nous voyons elle souvent"

I just don't understand when it's appropriate to use le/la/les, as I understand those words to mean "the."

Thanks in advance!

Correction, for the second one, I meant to put "...nous elle voyons souvent"

Favorite Answer

In the phrase you showed on here, you can't to say: '' nous se voyons souvent '' Or: '' Nous voyons elle souvent '', nor even: '' Nous elle voyons souvent ''.

→  It's: Nous la voyons souvent ←

Direct object complement pronouns: Le, la, l', les,  replace the names of people or things for don't repeat them in a sentence.

Example: Je dessine une voiture → Je la dessine. 

_ Ex. with a complete phrase: Je dessine une voiture avec mes crayons. Quand je la dessine je me sens bien '' .. Here ' la ' avoided me to say two times the word ' voiture '.

Same phrase in English: '' I draw a car with my pencils. When I draw it I feel good ''

__________________________________

Another example: '' J'écoute mon chien aboyer, je n'aime pas l'entendre faire ça ''.

Here ' l' ' replace the word dog for don't write it a second time.

In English (literally): '' I listen to my dog bark, I don't like to hear him do that.''

In French, words have masculine or feminine gender.

If the word has feminine gender, you say "la", for example "la femme" = the woman.

If it has masculine gender, you say "le", for example "le chien" = the dog.

If it's plural, you say "les" regardless of gender e.g. "les femmes" or "les chiens".

Almost all nouns ending in "e" are feminine. 

Grammatical gender can be different from natural gender e.g. "le vagin" = the vagina. The *word* has masculine gender but the thing, of course, is feminine.