Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 2 months ago

Nude Pictures and Photography Law Question?

Ok so I'm watching tv and I wondered if this happens in real life what would happen? So the wife is a professional photographer, during her marriage she took nude photos of her husband for inspiration. There was no talk about her selling them or anything, she just wanted him to pose to test out her camera and stuff. So they divorced and the husband is walking down the street and sees that she's holding a photography exhibit and his nudes are going to be featured in it. Would he have any say as to wanting those photos to get taken down or not? He consented to them but I don't think he planned on them being broadcasted at an art exhibit where anyone can view them. I know photography laws are really f**ked up in my opinion where photographers have more rights than their subjects so could the husband get them taken down or not? 

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Since no contract was signed , he can ask her to take them down , or file suit if she doesn't .

The laws can change depending on where you live.

The place that allowed her to exhibit them should have asked if a contract was signed .

• Sumi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

One major detail missing from your question:  Where do you live.  Laws are different throughout the world.

Assuming you're in the United States, the photographer would need to get a signed model release to use the images for commercial use.  Fine art is not considered commercial use.  Generally, if a photographer is in on public land and photographs anyone, even without their permission, then those images can be used for fine art gallery prints without consent or a signed model release.

But in this case, it seems that the images were taken in a private setting where privacy was assumed. Therefore, the photographer can not print the images as fine art and sell the prints.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The model would have to sign a model release for the pictures to be shown in public. If he did not sign any model release she cannot sell the photos or exhibit them in public without his consent. 

• 2 months ago

if a face is show she would need his explicit consent to show the nudes, otherwise he could sue her

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.