Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

Can three 17 year olds travel alone?

In two years, assuming COVID is controlled by then and travel is allowed, I was planning on taking a spring break trip with two of my friends. They're sisters if that matters. Would that be dangerous for 3 girls to travel to California by themselves. I assume somebody would come with us but if that wasn't the case? 

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can fly alone- you let your air company know and you just have to get permission from someone over 18.

and you can stay in hostels and some hotels alone.

Source: I work for TUI:)

Source(s): work for tui and other travel companys
  • ?
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

No. You cannot check into a hotel room or other accommodation unless someone in the group is at least 18 - and many require that you be at least 21.

• 1 month ago

No issues flying.  You WILL have issues checking into a hotel room.  And your parents can't pre-check you in in advance - someone of age must be present

• 2 months ago

Assuming at least one of you will have a driving licence by then, and assuming there are Youth Hostels or the equivalent in California, I see no reason why you shouldn't do that.

You haven't said where you would be travelling FROM ...

EDIT to add: I see my answer has a lot of TDs. Aren't there any Youth Hostels in California? What have I got so wrong?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Generally minors need adults with them to book into hotels etc, so this will limit your options unless you're staying with friends/family

It also depends how you're travelling; you can't rent a car at 17 for example

• 2 months ago

It can be dangerous, but I assume you will do lots of planning and research to ensure you will be reasonably safe. However there is one other issue...

As the others have mentioned, will you have friends or family in California whom you can stay with? From the hotels and rental car businesses I know of, you need to be around 21 in order to get a room or rent a car.  

Source(s): Former resident of the Bay Area.
  • 2 months ago

Only if you have friends or relatives to stay with, or plan to sleep in the car which could be dangerous, not to mention uncomfortable unless it's a really big car. There is no rented accommodation you can stay in without an adult, someone at least 18 and preferably over 21.

• 2 months ago

No.                                      

• 2 months ago

At 17 you can’t rent a car or a hotel room to start, so, yes it could be problematic 

• Pete
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

They can in my country. Even 16 year old's can move out of their parents house and have consensual sex.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.