Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 2 months ago

How do I get my mom to trust me to upgrade our computer?

I did a case swap on a 7 year old gaming computer and it then kept crashing during Windows updates, I tried to get help online but advice went around in circles. 

It could have been ESD to the hdd or mobo, I don't know but I could not work it out.In the end my family decided just to buy a new gaming computer which gets used by me for gaming and my mom for other computing stuff.I want to upgrade the RAM to 16 GB but my mom won't trust that it won't go wrong like when I did a case swap, what can I do?

Favorite Answer

it's her computer [she paid for it] so let her do it her way.  and use a proper static discharge grounding strap before you go fooling around inside the case of any computer.  -- grampa  [ya, ya -- i do my own -- build from parts and fix as needed]

• ?

Bruh my parents are so mean they will never get me a gaming pc because they think Im too young or something idk lol. I have always wanted one my dad has alot ...

Trust is a fickle thing when it comes to troubleshooting and maintaining computers. If you're going to offer to work on a computer, you have to know what you're doing so nothing gets damaged; hardware and data. 

Right now, you've got a situation where people don't want you touching computer hardware, or even wanting to ask you to fix their computer because of what occurred with the 7 year old computer.

So, here's my recommendations:

1. In the short term, buy a CompTIA A+ certification book and read it to learn how to troubleshoot and maintain computer hardware and operating systems.

2. For the long term, go to college and take classes for a CompTIA A+ certification.

When I started building computers, I didn't offer to troubleshoot someone else's computer until I was A+ certified.

Why do you want to upgrade your computer? Buy a new one for yourself

• Butter her up with a bouquet of flowers

• ?

have you ever upgraded a computer before !!! Can the old computer take more ram and a new mother board and a video card or bigger hard drive or is the power supply able to handle the updrade !!!!

don't upgrade reformat and reinstall the OS

Probably try to upgrade the old PC that's 7 years old. 

Sometimes these things happen after hardware is moved around or even after a cleaning. Have you tried double checking all of the connections on the old PC, cleaning all of the contacts on parts like the RAM or Power Connectors, reseating the CPU cooler, etc? If all else fails then you can try reinstalling the OS.

ESD does happen, but I remember purposely trying to use ESD to kill an old PC and it took every carpet dragged shock I gave it. 

Most new Gaming PC's come with 16gb of RAM, so they must have bought a cheap one if it only have 8gb of RAM. Even some of these modern PC games are pushing the 16gb boundary when the game is at high or Ultra settings. It won't be long before 32gb is the new Norm for a Gaming PC.

Your out of luck. Try to fix the old desktop and keep trying. I would try reseating the ram and if that don't work then take a cotton swap and a little isopropyl alcohol to clean the golden pins on the ram and try again. You can also try to clear the cmos some better prebuilt have pins you can short out to clear the cmos if the motherboard doesn't then simply remove the battery for 10 minutes and put it back in and that should clear the cmos.

• Jesus

You know the definition of being insane is to do the same thing that you did before and expect a different result.

Whether you intended to or not you broke the last one it probably costed your mother and father considerable money!  If you want to demonstrate your responsibility pay your mother and father back for the price of the old computer.