When buying a new computer, is there any good reason to spend more money for more storage memory?

I'm looking to upgrade my computer to a SSD one due to its faster speed. There are lot for good prices for ones that have around 256 GB of storage space. If I were to buy something with around 512 GB, it would cost significantly more, around $200 more or so. My current computer, which I've had for 7 years, is a 1 TB hard drive, of which only 80 GB is used for programs and apps and around 300 GB are used for Pictures, Music and Video storage.

So obviously I need more than 256 GB of storage. But here's the thing... can't I just buy a 256-512 GB flash drive for $30 or so and store by pictures, music and videos there? Is there any particular reason to spend a few hundred bucks for a computer with extra memory, when I can easily buy a flash drive to store all my files?

• ?

sure, especially if it's a SSD, since they are faster. I have no idea why HDDs are even made anymore. They need to go the way of 5.5" floppy disks

When buying a pre-built system, things like storage upgrades (larger hard drives) will cost more than if you bought the pieces from a store.  A hard drive will be much more expensive than a flash drive, though.  But they are much more reliable and faster to access your data.  You should go with the the cheaper pre-built system and buy an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE for storing the other stuff.  You can leave it plugged in the whole time.

if you get an SSD never use up more than 25-50% of the drive! the Drive will last forever! this will make the SSD life much much longer!

for all storage get a HDD! you can reformat and write as must as you like on a HDD not an SSD!

Flash drives aren't that reliable as a storage medium. In addition they can be very slow.  Any external drive can be like this, since they usually operate through usb. 

You should be able to add an ssd for your operating system and perhaps your most used programs, keeping the pictures, music and videos on the existing hard drive.  There is plenty of advice on how to do this, including on here.

• keerok

Since SSDs are that expensive, usually, we use them for programs only (OS and apps) and store data (pictures, music, videos and documents) in the old HDD (hard disk).

so you're talking about buying a whole new computer, right?  what if you put a $100 SSD into your present computer instead of the current boot drive?  you'd then use the 1 Tb HDD for storage of those pictures, etc. but not for Windows or programs.  worth thinking about, eh?

• i + i

Most people buying a new computer have both. 

You want the operating system and most used 

applications on the SSD, and everything else 

goes onto regular hard drive(s). I'm typing this 

response on an HP Pavilion laptop with 256GB 

SSD "C:" drive, and a 1T HDD "D:" drive, and 

I have multiple external drives that I hook up to 

it for various uses. 

• ?

You're operating system is currently installed upon your one terabyte drive. if you want to have a significant increase in speed you need to install your operating system on a solid state drive and keep your one terabyte drive for storage. There's plenty of room inside your desktop cabinet for that second hard drive. You disconnect the big drive then you install Windows on the solid state drive. Then you go into BIOS and configure your solid state drive as the hard drive to boot from. Placing it number one on the list of startup devices.

Having a flash drive or a card is going to do nothing to speed up your speed  now after you get your solid state drive working as your boot device.  Everything should run like it always has. And your 1 TB drive still hasn't operating system on it so if someday your solid state drive should burn out you can pull it out and set the one terabyte drive to be the boot device again and your computer will start up

Well, in general I don't need too much storage memory, I am just interested in performances and so a good CPU is the main aspect. Anyway, I can suggest you to buy an SSD with 256 GB, not 512. The cost is not high, some months ago I spent $30-40 for a 256 GB SSD (Kingston) on Amazon. For a general use, the operative system and programmes, 256 GB are enough. Then, I suggest you to use a HDD (1 TB is ok) to store other data (photos, movies...) because you don't need the speed of an SSD to open a photo, an HDD is enough! The HDD could be an internal (always connected) or external (you connect it when you need). The advangages of an SSD are related to the loading of programmes and the operative system, so you shouldn't spend too much just to store photos in it.

Why not stick to a 256 SSD and install a 1Tb hard drive for storage? That's how my desktop PC is set up. For a laptop an external HD via usb would work.