Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 weeks ago

How often should you pick up after your dog?

I have a neighbor that never seems to pick up after their dog, and in the summer, it stinks to high heaven. Surrounding houses have complained, and when they finally picked it up, it was almost to the top of a full black trash can. That's so gross! They kept saying you don't have to do it all the time. How often should you pick up? That seems really gross to me, not picking up for months on end.

Favorite Answer

Spring and summer, and fall permitting, I pick up every single day. Winter, I pick up as much as I can before anything freezes or before it snows, so at least twice a week, or I have to wait for it to thaw out. I will also use hot water and vinegar to loosen hard, frozen poop and pick it up that way. My backyard gets VERY icy and slippery, so when the opportunity presents itself, I go and get it done. Like today, it's 56, so I picked it all up and was able to dislodged a lot of it. It's supposed to snow all tomorrow, so I got it done before that. I probably won't be able to pick up again until Sunday or Monday next week.

And yes, you're correct, that is VERY gross and really neglectful. Poop, even their own, can be dangerous if left to fester in the yard. As it piles up, the dogs don't really have much choice other than to step in it to poop somewhere else, so they are tracking poop everywhere and it's really unsanitary. We also have a neighbor that we call the "Poop House." They NEVER pick up to the point where, even in winter if the wind kicks up enough, you can smell it down the street. I feel so badly for their dogs, because they also just leave them outside. Ick. 

• Rita
    1 day ago

The more dogs you have, the more dog poop you would need to pick-up. So, clean up dog waste at least once a day. If you only have one dog, then you can clean up once a week.

Yeah, that's disgusting. They should definitely at least be picking it up daily.

I clean up twice a day, after breakfast and after dinner.

Ideally, it would be cleaned up every day. They're right that it's not absolutely necessary, but daily would be my approach.