Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is racism above homophobia in the scales of justice?

find myself thinking that people with anti-gay views get much more of a free pass than racists on the social justice scale. I was having a discussion with a big social justice friend about old confederate monuments and why they should be pulled down. He made the point about how it would feel to be a black person having to walk past that every day. I said, "Well, if you can pull that monument down, how about all the anti-gay churches I drive past every day. Would I be justified in tearing that church down?" He said that, no, I wouldn't, but he couldn't really give me a good explanation of why.

And in churches, they are actively indoctrinating members in anti-gay attitudes. Imagine if these were neo-Nazi training centers.

People are called on to confess their white privilege; I've never heard of someone confessing their heterosexual privilege or being grilled over their implicit homophobia. Hetero supremacy is just a basic fact of life. When was the last time you heard someone protesting it or talking about how evil it is?

And it's not like all our problems are over. Gay kids are still kicked out on the street or bullied. Gay life in conservative states and rural areas is dangerous. We don't have employment or housing protections in most areas. Kids are still dragged off to conversion therapy. All that seems to fall off the protesters radar.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Justice has nothing to do with "isms."

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Mainly because people with anti-gay views think people can simply stop being gay and that it’s a choice (It’s not). They know a person can’t change their race, but they don’t understand that the sex you prefer isn’t a choice either. And there are churches that aren’t a problem, and some that are hate cults. Not all religion is bad, I know several religious/christian people who don’t have a problem with LGBT people. Far-right people say they’re using their “religious freedom”, just so they can discriminate against people and push their extreme beliefs on everyone.. and trust me i’m tired of it. Also last thing, people think that you can’t hide your race, but you can hide your sexuality, as if that justifies bad treatment on people for their sexuality. That’s what i could think of. 

• 2 months ago

Education.    

The point you raised is a valid one and lets hope it sends him away to think about it.  If he did consider your point you have managed to educate him a little.   

• 2 months ago

Neither of them is anything other than appallingly awful.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I have no idea what "the social justice scale" is, or why anyone would pay attention to it - but the fact is that in the USA (at least) the existential threat to the nation posed by racism is far, far greater than that posed by homophobia.  Prima facie.  Pur et simple.  Case closed.

You make a good point about religionists and influential local figures continuing to foment fear, resentment, and hatred toward sexual/gender minorities.  But your observation about the removal of Confederate statues overlooks the fact that the entire "Statues" activity was a sort of a red herring - not actual progress.  It served as a heat sink...a place for the frustrated energy and emotion of the protest-minded to fall into and be dissipated.  They felt it was necessary to End Racism.  Well, they aren't going to end racism in their lifetimes, or even in a hundred years.  They might as well protest against Gravity.  So they (and the news media) searched for some other, more attackable target.  It turned out to be chunks of bronze in public squares.

After the killings at Mother Emanuel, the same thing happened.  The horror and outrage couldn't find a chink in racism's facade to being tearing at, and the media coverage began to go stale...so the next thing you know, all the cameras were pointed at a Confederate flag on the South Carolina State Capitol grounds.  After another week, the flag was gone, and everybody felt good and went home.  It was a heat sink.  It accomplished nothing, and most people these days don't even realize that the entire trajectory of the nation's Mother Emanuel emotional experience ended in a whimper rather than a bang - all because it couldn't (rationally speaking) ACTUALLY CHANGE racism.  So it changed a flag at an obscure memorial, instead.

So George Floyd died and again, racism wasn't really affected.  Instead, police departments were temporarily concerned about their budgets (they no longer are) and some statues were replaced.  Et voila!  Whimper rather than bang.  Racism, itself, is exactly where it was when that headcase took his pistol to Sunday School...if not worse.

So before you suggest that churches should be torched, consider that you're arguing for the effort for LGBT to secure civil rights to be misdirected into heat sinks - just like the effort against racism routinely is.

If the LGBT civil rights effort is flagging, it's because the enemy has SUCCESSFULLY portrayed LGBT people as self-serving radicals that pose a danger to the rights of non-LGBT people.  The LGBT response has been INEFFECTIVE - whining that that's an unfair, inaccurate representation, instead of SHOWING that it's not true.  And now, instead of addressing what the other side has been claiming about us, you want to suggest that we should tear down their  churches??!!??  THAT sounds exactly like "a danger to the rights of non-LGBT people"!  Doesn't it?  What side are you working for, anyway?

Let's use a little common sense, here.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There are many lgbtq accepting denominations and congergations, so don't lump all christians in to that pile intolerance and hate, conservative evangelical and pentecostal denominations and congregations are the worst offenders but that is in no means 100% either.

Any denomination congregation organization or person who discriminates in the name of God is fighting what they perceive as sin with sin, so discrimination in the name of God is SIN, conservative use a mirror.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There are still multiple moral stigmas attached to homosexuality.   The idea that they're pedophiles or cesspools of disease or just plain disgusting.   Religion has legitimized the immorality of being gay.     It's different than what racial minorities face.

• Mark
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Unfortunately churches are protected by the Constitution.   Not all of them preach against gays, and some of them are quite accepting.  Most real Christian churches will spout that they hate the sin, not the sinner.  Some just like to hate though, in contrast to what this character Jesus who sat with the sinners supposedly taught. 

• PW
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I get bullied by brothers for being the youngest, how can we stop all this injustice.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Racism and gays live in your head

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.