Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 weeks ago

How do we know that Stalin killed 1 million, or 20 million or 60 million or over 1 billion people? Those are the typical figures i hear?

And Im not saying that those people didn't die but how do we know Stalin was attributed to it? I know wikipedia isnt the most reliable source but it lists one famine that claimed a million lives and was from mismanagement of Russia, but how do we know Stalin intended to commit these atrocities because he believed himself to be a God and no other God exists? I just want to know the truth of Stalin but most of what I heard is from church and is used to claim atheism is evil and caused millions to be slaughtered.

I do know about the great purge which could have claimed 1 million lives, so all I can find are 2 million and its still debatable on how involved Stalin was in causing all of it, or if he delegated much of it to his officers and they got out of hand. Any reliable sources that I can look into?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Steven
    Lv 4
    2 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

(1) Born to a poor family in Gori in the Russian Empire (now Georgia), as a youth Stalin joined the Marxist Russian Social Democratic Labour Party. He went on to edit the party's newspaper, Pravda, and raised funds for Vladimir Lenin's Bolshevik faction via robberies, kidnappings and protection rackets. Repeatedly arrested, he underwent several internal exiles. 

(2)  Through the Five-Year Plans, the country underwent agricultural collectivisation and rapid industrialisation, creating a centralised command economy. This led to severe disruptions of food production that contributed to the famine of 1932–33. To eradicate accused "enemies of the working class", Stalin instituted the Great Purge, in which over a million were imprisoned and at least 700,000 executed between 1934 and 1939. By 1937, he had complete personal control over the party and state.

(3) In August 1939, the Soviet Union signed the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact with Germany.

(4) With a high number of excess deaths occurring under his rule, Stalin has been labeled "one of the most notorious figures in history."[865] These deaths occurred as a result of collectivisation, famine, terror campaigns, disease, war and mortality rates in the Gulag. As the majority of excess deaths under Stalin were not direct killings, the exact number of victims of Stalinism is difficult to calculate due to lack of consensus among scholars on which deaths can be attributed to the regime.[894]

(5) .[901] In 2011, historian Timothy D. Snyder in 2011 summarised modern data made after the opening of the Soviet archives in the 1990s and states that Stalin's regime was responsible for 9 million deaths, with 6 million of these being deliberate killings. He further states the estimate is far lower than the estimates of 20 million or above which were made before access to the archives.[902]

............................................................................................................................

He was from a poor background. Worked his way up as a notorious gangster and terrorist. 

He was ruthless to the core. 

He broke the Molotov Ribbentrop pact which led to Hitler invading Russia. 

However the amount of deaths attributed to Stalin are actually thought by modern historians to be much lower than previous historians recorded.

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

The Stalin genocide is undeniable and the amount of victims is inexact. History fills in the blanks w/ estimates based on what is known ... frequently it has to use projections. Regardless, the estimates are close enough to apply to the Stalin image. That's what is important ... exact or near exact numbers are not in this case.

• Anonymous
    2 weeks ago

Stalin intentionally created a man-made famine in Ukraine in the early 1930s, it caused millions of Ukrainians to starve to death at a time when Ukraine was known as the 'breadbasket of Europe' due to all the wheat grown there and shipped to Europe. Stalin didn't allow them to keep any of the wheat for themselves. Look up the Holodomor. That's why many Ukrainians were happy the Germans arrived in 1941... at first. If you're really interested, there's a good book called Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel. It was written from a diary taken by a teenage boy living in Kiev, Ukraine when the Germans invaded in 1941. He not only describes how bad it was living under German occupation for two years but also how bad it was living under Stalin before the Germans arrived.    

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.